1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

pocket knives

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dl20, Nov 28, 2009.

1. dl20

dl20 Well-Known Member

Curious who carries knives with them on a daily basis. I keep a small case stockman on me for work and a larger kershaw assisted open folder when I'm not working. Any one else? Any collectors on here?

dl

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I frequently hit several of the custom knife shows, though I haven't in the last few years. They have gotten a little wild for my tastes. I was never really into folders, so I carry few interesting folders. Some random things from ImageShack:[​IMG] Hiroo Itou 5" Petty, damascus style rendered in stainless. [​IMG] Henckles folder -- made sense for me as I used to use their knives primarily in the kitchen. [​IMG] Forgot who did that one. Nothing special. [​IMG] I often wear one of these when it is not contravened by law. Sadly the maker has passed away. But they were convenient and had none of the drawbacks of folders, nor a fixed blade's poor carryability. He also made me a liner-lock folder in titanium with grey wood scales in the above that I carry sometimes. I used to keep a Victorinox Ranger in my day bag, but it was replaced with a Leatherman. Have no pics of any of the custom pieces available at the moment -- some of Herb Derr's work, and the big Odin bowie hanging in its glass shadowbox over my shoulder. We do have/had one custom knifemaker here on the forum. ~ H

1 person likes this.
  3. Godot

Godot Well-Known Member

I've been known to carry one on occasion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always felt that a men should have a good pen-watch and knife.[​IMG]

4. j

j Well-Known Member

There's another pocketknife thread here somewhere. I carry a Benchmade Stryker M2HS pretty much all the time, except with a suit or formalwear when I have a more civilized looking one or nothing.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

You guys all need to hit up Osprey Guy.

6. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

I carry a Cold Steel Vaquero folder. Solid knife, and cheap enough that when I lose it I won't be heart broken.

7. Edsal17

Edsal17 Well-Known Member

Wow, A REKAT Sifu. I had one with a stonewashed blade. They had sweet blades. Not so great locks if I remember.

d

8. dl20

dl20 Well-Known Member

I've always felt that a men should have a good pen-watch and knife.[​IMG]

Add quality lighter to that mix and I'm with you 100%

Very nice examples guys.

I'll check out that other thread J, thanks

DL

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I have a small custom made fixed blade. small blade and a finger ring. very useful. I carry it pretty much everywhere when I am not flying

10. bob99

bob99 Well-Known Member

I have a few Benchmade balisongs, but I don't carry them due to illegalness. I'd love to get a Sandshark OTF automatic, just as a letter opener.

11. Osprey Guy

Osprey Guy Well-Known Member

Thanks to "Spoopoker" for the mention. Here's one of the "mini-balisongs" that I made (This pic is three different views of the same knife shown as a collage): [​IMG] Here's another.... [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's another style of folder. I was trying to come up with something that appeared aerodynamic: [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's a fixed blade that I made a few years back. Although I normally only use the "stock removal" method to make my blades...this is one that I forged: [​IMG] If you're interested in this sort of thing... may I recommend a book: [​IMG] Did I mention that I am the co-author? [​IMG] Hope you enjoyed these. Dennis

12. Osprey Guy

Osprey Guy Well-Known Member

What the well-dressed knifemaker wears in his workshop: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. dl20

dl20 Well-Known Member

wow those are awesome ospreyguy

dl

14. Godot

Godot Well-Known Member

15. Godot

Godot Well-Known Member

Wow, A REKAT Sifu. I had one with a stonewashed blade. They had sweet blades. Not so great locks if I remember.

d

I've heard that too, but never experienced any problems with it. I've also never understood how the Round Eye Knife and Tool company went out of biz. They had such great designs.

16. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

Nice Lochsa there, Godot. Always wanted to get one. They must be very hard to get now since Scott is not accepting new orders.

17. Godot

Godot Well-Known Member

Nice Lochsa there, Godot. Always wanted to get one. They must be very hard to get now since Scott is not accepting new orders.

Thanks, I got that one used on USN site about a week after getting on the waiting list for one from Scott about 3-4 years ago. Last July, I got a call from Scott telling me my number had come up and he had my knife, but there was no problem if I wanted to change my mind. He had other people he could sell it to-no hard feelings. I gave it about a half a seconds thought and said "SEND IT TO ME[​IMG]

I think Scott must be bored with the Lochsa by now. I'm sure 80% of his phones calls were , "when will mine be ready" or "can I get on the list, but I want mine left handed and with a blue thumb stud ETC". Probably very few phone calls asking if he wanted to go to a ball game or go out for a drink.

18. Houndstooth

Houndstooth Well-Known Member

I frequently hit several of the custom knife shows, though I haven't in the last few years. They have gotten a little wild for my tastes. I was never really into folders, so I carry few interesting folders.

Some random things from ImageShack:[​IMG]

Hiroo Itou 5" Petty, damascus style rendered in stainless.

[​IMG]

Henckles folder -- made sense for me as I used to use their knives primarily in the kitchen.

[​IMG]
    Forgot who did that one. Nothing special.

[​IMG]

I often wear one of these when it is not contravened by law. Sadly the maker has passed away. But they were convenient and had none of the drawbacks of folders, nor a fixed blade's poor carryability. He also made me a liner-lock folder in titanium with grey wood scales in the above that I carry sometimes. I used to keep a Victorinox Ranger in my day bag, but it was replaced with a Leatherman.

Have no pics of any of the custom pieces available at the moment -- some of Herb Derr's work, and the big Odin bowie hanging in its glass shadowbox over my shoulder.

We do have/had one custom knifemaker here on the forum.

~ H

Huntsman, what is the name of that tonic?

19. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

I really wish I could carry my balisong with me, it's so sleek and fun to plau with. But since it's pretty damn illegal here, if I do carry, I stick to a kershaw vapor. I have a couple larger cold steel folders, but they are too large.

20. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Huntsman, what is the name of that tonic?

Fever Tree. Its good.