• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please recommend a watch

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watchbuys.com is the official US representative of most German brands. I just picked up a German piece to use as a daily beater off FleaBay
smile.gif

Greg,
I've had the Marine Diver for over a year though I haven't had a tripod to take macro pictures without getting a ton of blurring. My camera still stinks, and I get quite a bit of background noise, but they are at least sufficient for quick pics, sales, etc. I haven't been able to get a movement shot, though I only have one piece with a display back.

this_is_james

Reaction score
thanks for the replies you all! i wanted a watch where i could change the band so that it is a dress watch if i have it on leather strap and casual if i have it on steel bracelet. again, thanks for the suggestions. besides the price, would a cartier pasha or some other cartier model fit the description?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Oris Atelier watch and absolutely love it. I believe retail is $1595.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I picked up this Oris Atelier watch and absolutely love it. I believe retail is $1595.

It's awesome - I love the design!
smile.gif

this_is_james

Reaction score
Originally Posted by this_is_james
thanks for the replies you all! i wanted a watch where i could change the band so that it is a dress watch if i have it on leather strap and casual if i have it on steel bracelet. again, thanks for the suggestions. besides the price, would a cartier pasha or some other cartier model fit the description?

opinions?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
opinions?

Personally, I don't think that would fit your criteria #4. But that's just my taste I guess - I can't think of any men's Cartier watches that I like, except for some of the (very) expensive Tortue collection

this_is_james

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Personally, I don't think that would fit your criteria #4. But that's just my taste I guess - I can't think of any men's Cartier watches that I like, except for some of the (very) expensive Tortue collection

what if #4 is modified to:
timeless. classic. sophisticated. not flashy or not so flashy.

reference for the watch: http://www.authenticwatches.com/w31074m7.html

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what if #4 is modified to:
timeless. classic. sophisticated. not flashy or not so flashy.

reference for the watch: http://www.authenticwatches.com/w31074m7.html

If you like it, go for it! I can think of dozens of other watches I'd rather spend $3k on. But again, it's just not my taste

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't particularly like the Pasha -- I think it looks a bit effete -- but it is an icon of watch design and if you like it, go for it. Has your budget increased by $1,500 overnight?

I like the IWC Mark XV. It is bigger than classic dress-watch dimensions, but I think it would go great with a suit or jeans:

http://www.watchseller.com/iwcmkxvwhitd.html

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i ve been so delighted by my new oris from bernard watches.

here is their link to the watch ,http://www.bernardwatch.com/Oris
it is BW# ORI237

the second from left. retail is $1350 according to the site but whether it is or not, i am so satisfied with mine. it is beautiful and great bargain for 350.

no im not affiliated or getting anything from bernard other than i just want to spread the word.

this_is_james

Reaction score
right now i'm heavily leaning towards the omega seamaster aqua terra and would probably save up to get a cartier in the future. i like the IWC Mark XV too though it's a lot more expensive. can someone tell me the brand image of omega and IWC?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
omega is widely considered to have the best value for money. iwc is also well regarded in that range.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
omega is widely considered to have the best value for money.

I know that best value is a relative term but I think that JLC would garner the honor, certainly if chosen from among the top makers. I love Omega, a Pre-Moon Speedmaster was my first quality watch, but generally speaking they're not a top maker. Omega is Rolex, less the hyperbole.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Omega is Rolex, less the hyperbole.

imo, omega and jlc sits on different planes in the watchworld. but as to what i've quoted from you- that is why i think omega has the best value for money. (well at least compared to the watches in the omega price range)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads