• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please recommend a used car, $13-15k

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think OP can get a GTI for 13-15K, can he? Unless it's in terrible condition or really high mileage..

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mom's golf is a 1999.5 (they switched models halfway through the year) and its still kicking. Its not high mileage but almost all of its miles are city driving.

Really, unless you get a lemon, they are aren't bad about service unless you don't keep up with preventative maintenance. If you skip oil changes and X0,000 mile services, stuff can start to get nasty. It will never be as cheap to service as an american car or a honda...but it also will never feel as cheap inside.

I don't see why tires have to be expensive...they ship with some pretty high-spec tires IIRC, but unless you are driving it at its limits, I would just go to costco and throw on some good high-mileage tires.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score

They are around. Here was one I found quickly
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2638154111.html

Salvage title is a bit iffy. A quick eBay search showed the GTIs closer to 18-20k.

The current one is a 2008 but only has 18K miles on it. Not maintenance issues so far. But, replacement tires are pricey. Her previous two cars were GTI's. She had them about 60K miles or so and always had good luck.

Great. I am in somewhat similar shoes as the OP except I won't be getting anything for another six months. And I am in CA so don't need AWD. Looking for something more fun than a Civic, which is the obvious / smart choice. 4 door ideally.

zerostyle

Reaction score
OP,

How about a Subaru Legacy GT? You get the turbo and AWD of the WRX, but it looks a lot more grown up. With a simple stage I flash you can hit around 300hp.

Mine's been a rock and is pretty fun. Engine/transmission have been around forever and are solid. The overall build quality of the interior/etc are just so-so though.

When I bought mine, it was 2.5 years old / 30k miles and I paid $15.5k for it with the premium trim ( turbo, leather, moonroof, premium sound, etc )

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads