1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

please help with thrifty shopping in nyc manhattan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EgiyptianCloth, Jan 2, 2013.

1. EgiyptianCloth

EgiyptianCloth Active Member

please need help with thrifty shopping in manhattan in the city

2. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

thrifty: uniqlo has good and relatvly inexpensive pricing.
    thrift: check salvationarmy. there are several. you will need digging to find something.

3. DJosef

DJosef Well-Known Member

+1 for uniqlo. Possibly the best value on knitwear in the city. (And their tech underclothes are awesome.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

5. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Seriously. Don't come here to thrift, wrong town. Last time I was in a thrift store they wanted $100 for a shitty half polyester overcoat with noticeable wear on the arms. Laughed at them and left. I'm sure some hipster would have found the coat "ironic" or whatever and gladly paid it though, hence the absurd price.

6. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aravenel

Seriously. Don't come here to thrift, wrong town. Last time I was in a thrift store they wanted $100 for a shitty half polyester overcoat with noticeable wear on the arms. Laughed at them and left. I'm sure some hipster would have found the coat "ironic" or whatever and gladly paid it though, hence the absurd price.

This subject has been exhausted in the thrifting thread, but whatever, I hated the thrift scene in NYC!! I saw Brioni shirts for $125, Hermes ties for $70. It's cheap, but not what you'd expect in a charity shop and compared to the rest of the country... I think I just saw someone posted an Hermes tie with a price tag of $1.99!!