1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Please critique the fit of this sportcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jorts4ever, Nov 7, 2012.

1. jorts4ever

jorts4ever New Member

I bought a size Large Faconnable wool sportcoat off of Gilt (I'm a size 43, most recently) but I'm just not sure about the shoulders. (I know the sleeves need to be shortened.) What do you all think about the fit, especially shoulders? Thanks for all comments!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Well-Known Member

First up, ask a SA to take your picture. Don't be shy! I've asked a few SA's to take pictures of what I am wearing and/or work colleagues.

Second, either size too big or you need to try a regular. Look at the collar gap between your sports coat and shirt collar. Add sleeves are way too long, very open quarters, all indicative of too large a size.

Third, have you measured yourself and/or an existing well fitting jacket?

3. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Changing the size won't help. That doesn't work for you anyplace.

4. guymac12

guymac12 Well-Known Member

From this vantage point, the shoulders look a little too wide as well as the sleeves

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Looks like it's one or two sizes too big.

6. jonnyt

jonnyt Well-Known Member

Main problem is neck and collar, followed by billowy arms. I'd skip unless a size down fits better.

7. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

I would echo what my more experienced colleagues posted, with one exception: is your collar being squashed in the back, or is that just a massive gap. It looks almost like the collar of the coat is resting on the collar of the shirt.

8. jorts4ever

jorts4ever New Member

Wow, thanks everyone, for the points that I wouldn't have even noticed.

Putonghua -- what are quarters? I believe you regardless, but I'm curious. To answer your question, a few months ago I was fitted in a 43R suit by BB (it was taken in a bit in the front/sides/sleeves).

Chase -- good catch. I'm not sure, but I see what you see. Not ideal.

Everyone's feedback has convinced me that I should probably just return the damn thing, which is fine as I was on the fence to begin with. It comes with an obnoxious proprietary top button (plastic) that you can't really see from the pics that was bothering me anyway.

9. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

What is off about this jacket isn't really off, it's normal for this type of jacket. This is constructed like a shirt jacket with conventional styling details like the collar and lapel. It's not intended to be worn as a conventional type of jacket for business type purposes, it's meant for casual use. The collar is a machine type construction more common in ladies clothing. The size is right for you.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

jorts4ever, I concur with Despos. The jacket is your size and the overall fit is correct for this type of jacket. Perhaps having the cuffs raised 1/2" would all that is needed, if that. Keep the collar down. You could wear it up only if caught in chilly weather. Clearly, as you stated, the 'obnoxious plastic button' has affected your countenance, so we can assume that once corrected, your smile will return. Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

You don't think it's pulling at the button? Plus the shoulders too wide?

12. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Maybe, but pictures like this don't reveal much, Arms bent and part of the jacket covered

13. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

it looks like a bad cardigan.

14. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Bingo, that is the intent

15. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Well-Known Member

if the material is knit, could be a cardigan

16. jorts4ever

jorts4ever New Member

Damn it, Despos and Man of Lint, way to come along and ruin the beautiful consensus we had built. And MoL, extra thank you for the bonus critique of my countenance IN ADDITION to the jacket. You have a good eye to appreciate my sultry pout.

Yes, it was intended as a casual jacket, but a well-fitting jacket one. So I don't know if I succeeded or not. What I do know is that Lands End has some of its sportcoats on crazy sales today and scooped a couple up for (total) less than half of what I paid for the jacket in the above pic, so this sucker's prolly getting returned.

I do appreciate all the comments and am glad to have stirred some controversy amongst the SF elders.

17. House

House Well-Known Member

it's just a crappy cut for some reason. Try another brand.

18. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

Despos is absolutely right that jackets like that aren't supposed to fit like a traditional odd jacket. They are supposed to fit differently, to be slouchier or looser or softer or something.

But I'm not sure that one fits differently in a way that looks good on you.