1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Please critique button up shirt size. Should I go for tailor, or MTM?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lespauldude, Oct 29, 2013.

1. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

This shirt, an XS from JCrew, seems a bit big on me (still). I'm definitely a smaller guy. I've had this shirt for a while but did not realize where exactly the sleeves should stop at until I've been reading more on menswear. The following picture shows that the sleeve goes to my knuckles (or about an inch past the "V" of the thumb and index).

If I want the shirt to fit perfectly, I would probably need the sleeve to end up 1.5" shorter. (half an inch above the "V"). The problem is JCrew's website says they are XS are 31-32" and I've never seen a store offer 30" or less. Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems my only options are tailoring the shirt or start buying custom made MTM shirts.

Is it worth it shortening this shirt (or even all my shirts - about 5-10) given the costs, or should I buy MTM? Will it look right with 1-1.5" taken off the sleeve?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

That's a casual shirt. It rarely is worth it to get casual shirts custom-made or MTM, if either is possible in a pattern much like that. There are Japanese companies that might make shirts that fit better, but it can be hard to order online from them and obviously trying on in person isn't feasible. The picture isn't very telling and therefore sleeve length might not fix all the shirt's problems, but it shouldn't be hard to get the sleeves properly shortened.

1 person likes this.
  3. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Casual shirt so just roll them up to some point with which you are comfortable.

4. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Silhouette looks pretty decent. It could be slimmer, especially at the sleeves, but pretty decent. Shortening the sleeves is a cakewalk and won't set you back my much. I say give it a try.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.