1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Please criticise this RTW double breasted blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Naive Jr., Jan 26, 2011.

1. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Well-Known Member

2. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

ew. it's Navy, which is the least-imaginative colour, ever. Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond.

Also, the buttons are too far apart IMHO. Fit questions are a whole 'nother ball of wax.

3. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Buttons aside, it looks pretty good on the mannequin.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond.

Uh... what?

5. Macallan

Macallan Well-Known Member

ew. it's Navy, which is the least-imaginative colour, ever. Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond.

Also, the buttons are too far apart IMHO. Fit questions are a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Jr is from Europe, although I agree the buttons being too far apart.

As for the colour of the blazer, depends on what he pairs with it.

6. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Over priced and under quality.

Leave it.

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Over priced and under quality.

Leave it.

+1

I've heard many retailers talk of the poor N&L RTW collection. Admittedly this is mostly with regard to concession stores, but I assume their RTW stores are the same garments.

8. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Well-Known Member

I join in the comment about the width on the buttons. The top two look like they are going fall right on your 'nips. Something odd about their placement. I don't see anything wrong it being Navy--may not be unique enough for the SF crowd but has served the other 99.99999999% of the population very well over the years. Overall, I am not thrilled with the appearance. Sorry.

9. Naive Jr.

ew. it's Navy, which is the least-imaginative colour, ever. Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond. Also, the buttons are too far apart IMHO. Fit questions are a whole 'nother ball of wax.
    Thanks very much for your criticism. 1. I find it very interesting that your first remark is in regard to the color. I consider color very important and my small wardrobe doesn't have any navy. I'm completely open to any color recommendation. 2. As far as British is concerned, I definitely don't want to support anything made where workers are exploited. The difficulty is that I don't know who manufactures this RTW, 3. which (i.e.RTW) is at present as far as I know the only manner of production I can afford. I have heard of a very inexnpensive bespoke firm in UK I believe it's called King, but I can't visit. This is also another reason why I asked the question here. 4. The position of the buttons is a critical issue. Would it be possible for you to offer a picture of a button constellation you consider better or even idea?

10. Naive Jr.

Jr is from Europe, although I agree the buttons being too far apart. As for the colour of the blazer, depends on what he pairs with it.
    Thanks very much for your interesting comments. You are right that I'm in Europe (because I prefer it to where I was elsewhere). I think Britain should be economically supported, especially because the workers need support. Why shouldn't I buy British? My trousers are in various shades of pink, salmon, greens and khaki. I have shirts in blues, cherry, pinks. I would like a tie for emergencies and considered buying a two-toned knit presently on sale at Drakes. My Jodhpur boots are in various shades of brown. That you agree to the negative judgment about the placement of the buttons as too wide brings me in distress and I would appreciate very much any alternative presentation of what you consider better or best. For example: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=109 - the difficulty is I don't see much difference, but perhaps you do?

11. Naive Jr.

Over priced and under quality. Leave it.
    Thanks very much for your laconic judgment. Gieves & Hawkes RTW has been severely criticised and Turnball & Asser RTW recommended. Do you have any comment or alternative recommendation? PS: >Quality< is quite a comprehensive category - do you mean everything: cloth, cut, .......?

12. Naive Jr.

I join in the comment about the width on the buttons. The top two look like they are going fall right on your 'nips. Something odd about their placement. I don't see anything wrong it being Navy--may not be unique enough for the SF crowd but has served the other 99.99999999% of the population very well over the years. Overall, I am not thrilled with the appearance. Sorry.

No need to apologise - on the contrary, I'm quite grateful for your candid opinion. Is there a RTW DB blazer which thrills you you would be so kind to mention?

13. Naive Jr.

+1

I've heard many retailers talk of the poor N&L RTW collection. Admittedly this is mostly with regard to concession stores, but I assume their RTW stores are the same garments.

No, I don't have any observation to confirm your assumption. At least not in regard to those articles which interest me. House of Fraser or by a German firm http://www.torquato.de/nundl-oxford-hemd-blau.html s, the N&L website shows articles which I have not see elsewhere advertised as N&L.

14. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

meh. id pass. Youd be surprised whats available from a local tailor going bespoke. Full bespoke form a decent tailor on a sportcoat is a lot less than i planned.

plus the fit would be spot on.

15. Naive Jr.

meh. id pass. Youd be surprised whats available from a local tailor going bespoke. Full bespoke form a decent tailor on a sportcoat is a lot less than i planned.

plus the fit would be spot on.

Thanks very much, but I know no such local tailor in Switzerland or adjacent Germany. I agree with your strategy and I would look for such a tailor if I lived in England.

16. lightsaber

lightsaber Well-Known Member

First of all, you can completely ignore the absurd comment about navy being a bad color for a blazer, 99% of all blazers are solid navy. The brilliance and usefulness of navy as a color for an odd jacket is that it is easy to coordinate the jacket with other colors and patterns in your trousers, shirt, tie, etc. As for the button placement - a matter of preference and your build. That wide button placement is ok and can look good for men of medium/average build, not so good for skinny or fat people.

17. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

First of all, you can completely ignore the absurd comment about navy being a bad color for a blazer, 99% of all blazers are solid navy. The brilliance and usefulness of navy as a color for an odd jacket is that it is easy to coordinate the jacket with other colors and patterns in your trousers, shirt, tie, etc. As for the button placement - a matter of preference and your build. That wide button placement is ok and can look good for men of medium/average build, not so good for skinny or fat people.

agree with the navy comment. Its a staple. Boring as it may be, it works because it looks good and goes with almost everything. If you only can have one jacket, a navy blazer with out question is it.

18. lightsaber

lightsaber Well-Known Member

If you only can have one jacket, a navy blazer with out question is it.

absolutely.

19. fuzzywazzy

fuzzywazzy Member

The price is too expensive, I think. And, the style did not appeal to me either. Furthermore, I agree about the buttons being too far wide apart.

20. JohnyJohn

JohnyJohn New Member

The price is too expensive, I think. And, the style did not appeal to me either. Furthermore, I agree about the buttons being too far wide apart.

The price is reasonable given it is made from cashmere. However, it is certainly true that number of companies in Jermyn Street make their garments in China. Those that do not proudly comunicate it on product page.

Combination of cashmere cloth and crafted in England (even if it is RTW) make the price reasonable.

It all depends whether you believe in the quality of garment from this particular company.