1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Playboy.com announces 'The Ten Worst Chick Flicks of All Time'

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by EL72, Sep 28, 2006.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Bridget Jones would be 77% more watchable if it didn't star Pinchface McBadactress.

Dirty Dancing has the unintentional comedy stylings of Patrick Swayze, and the Catskills. What more do you want?

I got one for you... Ladies in Lavender.

2. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I will have to see all these trashy movies. But I think a couple of you guys are confused as to what a chick flick is. It's not something that appeals to women or involves mostly women characters, it's something that should have nearly no appeal to a "masculine" viewer due to "feminine" themes (for lack of a better but non-offensive way of putting it).

I agree. Some of my favorite movies involve only women characters, preferably with little or no clothing. [​IMG] Most of the movies the movies on the list like Beaches, steel magnolias, fried rotten tomatoes, yahoo sisterhood... are prototypical chick flicks. Not a single molecule of testoterone to be found there.

3. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Dirty Dancing has the unintentional comedy stylings of Patrick Swayze,

Yeah, but so did Roadhouse, plus people got beat up and things got broken and stuff.

I nominate Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon.

4. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I nominate Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon.

As a worst or good chick flick? I've not seen it but I like Reese. She was good in Freeway and excellent in Election and Walk the Line.

5. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

As a worst or good chick flick? I've not seen it but I like Reese. She was good in Freeway and excellent in Election and Walk the Line.

As a worst. I just didn't like it, and I like Reese, too. Election was brilliant.

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

All of the films I've listed, are considered to be 'women's movies.' Very few men, enjoy them. These films are highly melodramatic, with deeply emotional scenes. For the most part, the men in these movies, are rotten. Sometimes, they're stupid. I've never minded seeing men manipulated by women. It's an everyday occurrence. For me, it's fun to see the women acquiring masculine traits, in order to beat down the men, who are pursuing them. These men, in turn, become emasculated little cuckolds.

SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER is another blockbuster of a woman's picture. This one may take all awards, for weirdness. Tennessee Williams melodrama about a rich woman who procured for her son, in order to keep him closeby. Liz Taylor knows the secret to Cousin Sebastian's existence; Katharine Hepburn tries to lobotomize Liz, to keep her quiet. That's only the beginning. The last twenty minutes of this film, grandly directed by Joseph Mankiewiecz, simply cannot be described.

7. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that Pretty Woman isn't on this list...

It's the ultimate chick flick Cinderella story... you can be a streetwalking whore, but if Mr. Millionaire gives you a charge card, you can clean yourself up and join high society.

I always wanted a sequel, where the tabloids start digging into Julia Roberts' past and a sex tape is released on the internet.

8. j

j Well-Known Member

All of the films I've listed, are considered to be 'women's movies.' Very few men, enjoy them. These films are highly melodramatic, with deeply emotional scenes. For the most part, the men in these movies, are rotten. Sometimes, they're stupid. I've never minded seeing men manipulated by women. It's an everyday occurrence. For me, it's fun to see the women acquiring masculine traits, in order to beat down the men, who are pursuing them. These men, in turn, become emasculated little cuckolds.

SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER is another blockbuster of a woman's picture. This one may take all awards, for weirdness. Tennessee Williams melodrama about a rich woman who procured for her son, in order to keep him closeby. Liz Taylor knows the secret to Cousin Sebastian's existence; Katharine Hepburn tries to lobotomize Liz, to keep her quiet. That's only the beginning. The last twenty minutes of this film, grandly directed by Joseph Mankiewiecz, simply cannot be described.

This still isn't a chick flick. A chick flick involves ... shall we say ... very woman-friendly men, non-scary men, and a romantic fairy tale plot of some kind. The ironic thing is that, for the most part, the men in these movies are so nice that no woman would actually like them and would dump them in seconds for a man with a backbone.

What about that one with Keanu Reeves and the woman (Charlize?) where she is going to die soon, and the one with Winona Ryder and the older guy or something... there are millions, it's just hard to remember the names because they're all so similar.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

It's the ultimate chick flick Cinderella story... you can be a streetwalking whore, but if Mr. Millionaire gives you a charge card, you can clean yourself up and join high society.

Ooooh, good call. Truly an embarassing oversight.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Or the one where Sandra Bullock saves Peter Gallagher when he falls in front of a trail, and while he's in a coma his family comes to believe she's his fiance? Definite chick flick.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

What about that one with Keanu Reeves and the woman (Charlize?) where she is going to die soon,

Sweet November..Ugh.

Good call. I'd nominate most of the movies Drew Barrymore was in mid-90's era. Ever After, Home Fries, Never Been Kissed, Riding In Cars With Boys, etc.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I thought "Boys Don't Cry" was very lovely. It is a perfect date movie; it has pathos.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Tennessee Williams surely knew how to devise a story.

14. Earthmover

Earthmover Well-Known Member

Or the one where Sandra Bullock saves Peter Gallagher when he falls in front of a trail, and while he's in a coma his family comes to believe she's his fiance? Definite chick flick.

Yeah, this one is pretty bad. Called While you were Sleeping, I believe?

Isn't this called Notting Hill? Which, by the way, is one of my favorite chick flicks.

15. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

I always wanted a sequel, where the tabloids start digging into Julia Roberts' past and a sex tape is released on the internet.

Pretty Woman is really just My Fair Lady, without the watchability. A better version of the story might be Fellini's Nights of Cabiria. There are doubtless many other variations on the same theme.

16. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

Pretty Woman is really just My Fair Lady, without the watchability. A better version of the story might be Fellini's Nights of Cabiria. There are doubtless many other variations on the same theme.

Pretty Woman is without Audrey Hepburn, too.

LabelKing . . . have you seen Suddenly, Last Summer? If not, then you MUST. It's unbelievable.

Another, EXCELLENT 'woman's picture,' is Room at the Top, with Simone Signoret, and Laurence Harvey. Ms. Signoret won a Best Actress, Oscar for her role as an aging actress who can't compete against a younger woman, who has money besides. It sounds corny, but it's not.

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I always enjoy PW. Probably because I saw it when I was something like 11 or so, and blame it for several affinities of mine (or perhaps I already had them as nascent concepts and the movie was a coincidence) -- redheads, 3-pc suits, tuxedoes, great restaurants, room-freaking-service and Lotuses.

Regards,
    Huntsman

18. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

while you were sleeping. ugh.