1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vincent, Jul 4, 2006.

1. vincent

vincent Well-Known Member

Are you guys for or against ?

2. stach

stach Well-Known Member

Bring it on! [​IMG]

3. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Who's the subject?

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

5. vincent

I meant in general.

Are you against or for plastic surgery?

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Are we talking about cosmetic or reconstructive?

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

in terms of cosmetic surgery, i wouldn't say i'm against it, but i've never seen anyone who didn't look fake afterwards. i suppose in some cases looking fake is still an improvement. i don't have a moral objection to it, if that's what you're asking.

8. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

I’m also not morally apposed to it. There is something about plastic surgery that just doesn’t sit right with me though; it furthers the homogenization of the culture.

9. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I think it's OK. Best used in moderation though. Just make sure to plan ahead and wear sunscreen so you wont have to get it in the first place.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Totally against. You can't buy good looks. You shouldn't want to change who you are. If you aren't happy how you look, sucks to be you but it shouldn't matter so much. To all people considering cosmetic plastic surgery: get over yourself.

11. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

in terms of cosmetic surgery, i wouldn't say i'm against it, but i've never seen anyone who didn't look fake afterwards. i suppose in some cases looking fake is still an improvement. i don't have a moral objection to it, if that's what you're asking.

I know someone who has had $30,000 in plastic surgery... they look just fine.

Yea, maybe facelifts make you look fake but I've seen good nosejobs that definately enhance someone's look.

12. mr_economy

mr_economy Well-Known Member

I suppose those opposing "cosmetic" surgery ought to offer a definition for what they mean by the word cosmetic. As someone who was 'blessed' with a severe case of gynecomastia, I consider my plastic surgery to have been lifesaving in terms of who it freed me to become as a person. I am the me I could never be, and I consider that as precious a gift as a quadruple bypass to someone with a heart condition.

13. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

14. vincent

From what I have heard, most people who oppose cosmetic surgery are celebs like cameron diaz, pink and so on...

To me its seems ridiculous...The "celebs" that I mentioned above are so incredibly stupid. I mean the only reason why they are famous in the first place is SOLELY due to their looks. They have absolutely zero talent. They were born with good looks so who are they to criticize cosmetic surgery.

If there was an operation that could make people taller, should I be against it since I am 6'3?

If there was an operation to raise one's IQ level, should I oppose it since my IQ is fairly high?

I think that as long as you are realistic with your desires and expectations, plastic surgery is fine. Is it really worth living your entire life, wishing you had a smaller nose or whatever the case may be? Life is too short to worry about insignificant things that surgery can solve.

15. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

From what I have heard, most people who oppose cosmetic surgery are celebs like cameron diaz, pink and so on...

To me its seems ridiculous...The "celebs" that I mentioned above are so incredibly stupid. I mean the only reason why they are famous in the first place is SOLELY due to their looks. They have absolutely zero talent. They were born with good looks so who are they to criticize cosmetic surgery..

I don't think they are opposed to it for job security.
    If there was an operation that could make people taller, should I be against it since I am 6'3?.
    There is and it's extremely painful. Think what would cause someone to go through all that for an inch of height.
    If there was an operation to raise one's IQ level, should I oppose it since my IQ is fairly high?.
    You're confusing IQ with intellect. Not saying you don't possess what you claim but a surgery for IQ augmentation would amount to a huge waste of money.
    I think that as long as you are realistic with your desires and expectations, plastic surgery is fine. Is it really worth living your entire life, wishing you had a smaller nose or whatever the case may be? Life is too short to worry about insignificant things that surgery can solve.
    It seems like you are ignoring the implications of surgery as part of the consumer culture. There is a whole psyche behind plastic surgery beyond just a smaller nose or bigger breast size.

16. Nantucket Red

You're confusing IQ with intellect. Not saying you don't possess what you claim but a surgery for IQ augmentation would amount to a huge waste of money.

No shit. Remember how miserable Homer Simpson was when the crayon was removed from up his nose and his IQ skyrocketed?

Stupid people are happy because they don't have the brains to realize how miserable they really are. [​IMG]

17. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Stupid people are happy because they don't have the brains to realize how miserable they really are. [​IMG]
    Tom Cruise believes Scientology is giving him a higher IQ, that stuff is making him smarter he said. So you can always go that route.

If stupidity is happiness, then don't wipe the smile from my face.

18. Nantucket Red

One of my favorite bits of spurious wisdom there.

I once had cosmetic surgery of a sort. I had veneers put on my front teeth to close a large gap between them. It didn't make me any smarter, but it improved my apparent IQ as judged by others. It also improved my ability to bite into the ass of life. [​IMG]

19. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

It also improved my ability to bite into the ass of life. [​IMG]

LOL.

With the pic you posted in the babes thread, you would need them.

20. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I always find it sad when someone gets plastic surgery as some sort of gift from those that bore him/her.

That said, there is a lot in the world that is depressing and I'm
    "against", like the group of boisterous kids getting smashed right now at noon and splaying across pool tables of an airport bar.