1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Planning a style book (feedback, content requests etc.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ville_e

ville_e Well-Known Member

I am in the process of planning a style book for both men and women and would love to gain some input from forum members on the design, content etc.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, content requests etc. Please can you PM me and I will give further details on the project.

Look forward to hearing back from as many as possible! Maybe you can tell me what was lacking in ex. Flusser's and Roetzler's books and what you would like to see in this one. All comments are greatly valued and will go into making this book.

I am also in the process of looking for a publisher so if anyone has any contacts or is interested in helping that would be of great help to us. Thank you!

2. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you would combine men and women, I think SW vs. MC might be more interesting. If you looking for a book to write, maybe a guide to buying clothes on Ebay would be a topic. I haven't seen anything like that.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

or a book on thrifting, picking out junk versus gold

+1 to men or women but not both

a good book might be about how to mix and match formal and casual elements

4. ville_e

Thank you kindly for the input. Our idea is to clearly separate each section including both women's and men's street wear and more formal wear. We will also have a section on mixing both casual and formal elements.

5. gwolf

gwolf Well-Known Member

how about a casual version of roetzel's gentleman? or are those what the esquire big black books are? hey come to think of it i may buy one of those. anyone bought one?

6. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Just print the [​IMG] hermes wallet thread on nice paper, and sprinkle it with a few of Mr. Sam's photoshops. Guaranteed bestseller.

7. Azzurri

Azzurri Well-Known Member

Just print the [​IMG] hermes wallet thread on nice paper, and sprinkle it with a few of Mr. Sam's photoshops. Guaranteed bestseller.

This [​IMG]

8. Montauk

Montauk Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly for the input. Our idea is to clearly separate each section including both women's and men's street wear and more formal wear. We will also have a section on mixing both casual and formal elements.

Best of luck to you, but I think it's a bad idea to write a book for both men and women. It's two almost completely separate audiences.

9. ville_e

Best of luck to you, but I think it's a bad idea to write a book for both men and women. It's two almost completely separate audiences.

Thank you. That is a valid point which you mentioned but we believe there to be an audience for a book like this as both men and women are often interested in each other's style. For example, male readers of the sartorialist tend to also be interested in women's styles.

I am very grateful for all of the comments in this thread and we will take each one into account when writing the book.

Please post more ideas and PM me if you wish to learn more about the project. [​IMG]

10. TimH

TimH Well-Known Member

I am wondering just how big this book is planned to be? Mens style has filled so many books but to include womens style might take it to infinity. Good luck and anything I can help with let me know.

11. ville_e

I am wondering just how big this book is planned to be? Mens style has filled so many books but to include womens style might take it to infinity. Good luck and anything I can help with let me know.

Thanks Tim. Will PM you soon with more info on the project ! [​IMG]

12. ville_e

Thanks so much everyone for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback.

If anyone reading this (who is involved in the business) wishes to be involved (ex. interview etc.) then please be in touch. [​IMG]

13. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Well-Known Member

Maybe a book on men's style and women's lingerie?

14. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

+1

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

It's about damned time. The world is ready for it.

16. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Style books and guides I have seen in the past always seem outdated in about a year, so it'll be important to be classic and timeless while selling to modern sensibilities.

17. stubloom

stubloom Well-Known Member

Iv'e read numerous books on "style" in recent years. The only section of these style books that I tend to focus on is the chapter on garment care. I'm always fascinated by the garment care tips offered. I find that these tips are often regurgitated myths culled from many of the style books that preceded the latest one.

Getting back to your specific question, I can offer this advice: To have any chance at success, forget about producing a style book that's marginally BETTER than all the ones that preceded yours. There is no market for such a book. Instead, focus on producing a style book that's very DIFFERENT in content and format from all the style books that proceeded yours. Coming up with an entirely new concept that will make your style book very DIFFERENT from all the others on the bookshelf is critical before you even begin writing the first chapter.

Good luck.