1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Place to eat in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Coldsnap, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Joel also very nice. Chef Antunes is a great guy. I got a tour of the kitchen when I was there.. top notch. Some of their refrigeration is controlled by satellite or something crazy.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Joel also very nice. Chef Antunes is a great guy. I got a tour of the kitchen when I was there.. top notch. Some of their refrigeration is controlled by satellite or something crazy.

Their freezers can freeze stock in 30 seconds.

3. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Well-Known Member

All great suggestions...

RIP Seegers

And Kevin Rathbun's original Nava is still good if you're in the mood for a little south-western flare, although I don't know if Kevin is still associated at all.

Once had a four-hour seven course dinner at Seeger's. The food was exquisite. The waiter was the archetype rude French waiter.

Nava (another Buckhead Life Group restaurant) has seen better days, and Kevin Rathbun is on to his own eponymous ventures. He is a truly great restaurateur.

...I had read mixed reviews about Bluepointe, but I quite liked it once I tried it.

...Did go to Market (right across the street, in the W Hotel) for dinner last week, and it was pretty good...The other place I'd like to try is Two Urban Licks. A month or so ago I went to One Midtown Kitchen (same restaurant group) for the first time. Good stuff.

I will have to try Market.

Two Urban Licks is good. It won't disapoint, but it won't blow you away either. I had an enjoyable meal with friends there last December.

Bluepointe is solid. Never had a bad meal there. It is my go to place for entertaining clients on a Sunday evening. They have sushi, interesting fish selections (e.g. butterfish), and admirable cooking technique. My favorite was red snapper with crispy skin in a thai chili glaze with long beans, and French press Costa Rican coffee at dessert. Their assortment of sorbets is really good. My wife loves the lobster in the massaman curry.

Atlanta is a fine city, with almost too many entertainment options. I like the InterContinental Hotel in Buckhead. Also, the service industry people in Atlanta are the most polite I have met anywhere.

4. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Atlanta is a fine city, with almost too many entertainment options. I like the InterContinental Hotel in Buckhead. Also, the service industry people in Atlanta are the most polite I have met anywhere.

Anyone been to Whiskey Blue in the W Hotel in Buckhead?

5. edinatlanta

Anyone been to Whiskey Blue in the W Hotel in Buckhead?

yes. I thought it blew balls but it is not the type of place I enjoy going to. Waaaaaaaaay too expensive for Atlanta IMO.

6. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

The Varsity: "What'll ya have?"

2 chili dogs
    1 chili burger
    (onions)
    fries
    o-rings
    frosted orange

K

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

2 chili dogs 1 chili burger (onions) fries o-rings frosted orange K
    and 1 coronary event

8. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

and 1 coronary event

I havent ordered like that since I was in undergrad...

Then I would out drinking and hit Krystal for a 10 pack and chili cheese fries at 4am

K

9. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

10. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

My favorite was red snapper with crispy skin in a thai chili glaze with long beans

Funny, that's exactly what I had when I went there!

That is where I usually stay when I'm in town on business (which is why I ate at Market recently -- just had to walk up the street.)

11. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Well-Known Member

Funny, that's exactly what I had when I went there!

That is where I usually stay when I'm in town on business (which is why I ate at Market recently -- just had to walk up the street.)

I will have to give Market a try on my next trip. Often if dining by myself I will opt for Houston's across from Lennox -- eat at the bar and drink a glass of wine. It seems I always end up in a good conversation with an attractive woman or two. Makes for a nice evening.

12. KPO89

KPO89 Well-Known Member

For fine dining...Bluepointe across the street from Phipps...excellant.

13. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Well-Known Member

For fine dining...Bluepointe across the street from Phipps...excellant.

KO, my parents live in the "burg" on the northwest end of town near Boonsboro CC. We were in Atlanta for the Hokies v. Crimson Tide game. I wanted to take them to either Bluepointe or the Buckhead Diner for luch; however, my mom had a bout of food poisoning from eating at the Renaissance hotel.

I had wanted them to stay at the InterContinental where we were, but my dad insists on using Hokie Travel. My folks are 80, so there is only so much I can do to try to influence their choices.

14. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

My wife and I are headed to Atlanta at the end of September. This thread hadn't been updated in a while. What are the best places in Atlanta for either high end regional or contemporary American cuisine?

15. Renton

Renton Well-Known Member

Restaurant Eugene, JCT Kitchen, Rathbun's, Bacchanalia, the lunch Blais' new place Spence was pretty good but I can't speak for the dinner

16. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Based on this request, my top three choices would be:

Bacchanalia
    Eugene
    Empire State South

Rathbun's used to be my favorite place in town (its within walking distance of my house) but its gone downhill lately...

If you have time for a quick and cheap lunch - hit up Taqueria del Sol. It's legit Mexican meets Southern food...

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I'm in Atlanta for a trade show for one day, airport -convertion center - aiport. need a place for lunch, preferably a place near one of the other, preferably bbq or southern comfort food. any suggestions?

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

For whole in the wall soul food, South City Cafe or Busy Bee

19. edinatlanta

Yo, globe, hit me up (If you haven't already left).

You going to be at GA World Congress Center (there are two big convention centers)? THat gives you more options.

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

hey Ed - I'll be here

Convention Center
    Georgia World Congress Center
    285 Andrew Young International Blvd., NW
    Atlanta, GA 30313

you up for lunch on Tuesday ?