1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pinot Noir

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Star, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

there are plenty of overpriced wines from both varietals.

Agreed- and with Pinot prices rising as they have...

2. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

I bet you that if you had a $100 bottle of Pinot and a $100 bottle of a Cabernet, the Pinot would be hands down the winner in terms of taste and satisfaction.

Cabernets are overpriced when compared to Pinot Noirs.

Actually I think it's more likely the other way around.

Pinot's are supposed to be a more expensive grape to grow, so you have to pay more than a Cabernet in general.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

on the flip side, a tiny plot of land in Napa is ridiculously expensive, and what happens is retired millionaires pay a huge amount for the plot and then churn out a wine that they pretty much have to charge $125-150 a bottle for.

I'll buy cab at the lower price point (<$30), but always an AOC Bordeaux (yes, most will have Merlot, blah blah). From like $40-100 I certainly buy more pinot, only because I love a great Burgundy. I do have half a case of Cali Pinot arriving, we'll see how that goes. At $100+ anything is game and it comes down to my personal preference (so not Cali Cab)

4. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    last i heard, planted vineyard on the valley floor was at about $150,000 per acre. you almost have to get $150 a bottle to pay that off ... if, indeed, you are planning on making a business at all, rather than pursuing a lifestyle.
    personally, i almost never buy bottles that are more than $100. Hell, I almost never buy bottles that are more than $75. I did at one point in my life and I've still got a couple cases in the cellar. just don't drink them that often.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Have never bought a bottle over $70. There's just too much great wine that's cheaper than that.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Have never bought a bottle over $70. There's just too much great wine that's cheaper than that.
    I certainly have, but as a rule I stay under $30 when buying for home. I don't ever feel I am missing out in doing so. Perhaps I will buy a little in the 30-50 range, and a few bottles for 50-75 each year, usually to store.

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I certainly have, but as a rule I stay under $30 when buying for home. I don't ever feel I am missing out in doing so. Perhaps I will buy a little in the 30-50 range, and a few bottles for 50-75 each year, usually to store.

+1. Any expensive bottles I've purchased as of late have either been consumed for a special occasion or are more expensive simply because they have a bit of age on them and I'll pay a premium for it (and then serve on a special occasion).

8. kwilkinson

I'll be buying two bottles of Billecart-Salmon Rose Brut NV for gifts in the following couple of months. I feel a lump in my throat already.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I don't like all this talk of inexpensive wine when certain persons here are trying their damndest to get me into aged white Burg...and it's working! [​IMG]

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

I have several US Pinots I really like. Some vintages (not all) of Cambria Pinots are quite good and the Julia's Vineyard bottling at $20per isn't a bad value. 2006 was wonderful. Stepping up the cost ladder, Goldeneye is just yummy, but at $50+ per is a more serious commitment. I've not had as good luck finding Washington/Oregon Pinots I like as much.

As for Burgs, don't get me started. My hit rate on finding good wine from Burgundy is dreadful. The 2006 Bouchard Beaune du Chateau ($35) was a standout. Beyond that most of what I had this year ranged from swill to merely disappointing. I'm leaving the 2004 AF Gros Richbourg I had out of this because I'm convinced I did that wine no favors by drinking it so young (it got a lot better the longer it was open).

Any sane person would stop going there, instead I'm still chasing the Burgundy dragon. Picked up two more bottles this week to try. Both are 2007's. One I'll probably age a bit, the other I plan on opening soon. Both are pretty expensive ($55 and $85). I do think that as a consumer it's fair that when they raise their prices I raise my expectations. At some point if I can't sort Burgundy out a bit better I'll just abandon it altogether. There are too many other delicious wines out there at more reasonable prices to waste more time and money chasing that which continues to elude me.

11. kwilkinson

I'm leaving the 2004 AF Gros Richbourg I had out of this because I'm convinced I did that wine no favors by drinking it so young.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

12. foodguy

I have several US Pinots I really like. Some vintages (not all) of Cambria Pinots are quite good and the Julia's Vineyard bottling at $20per isn't a bad value. 2006 was wonderful. Stepping up the cost ladder, Goldeneye is just yummy, but at $50+ per is a more serious commitment. I've not had as good luck finding Washington/Oregon Pinots I like as much.

if you like the goldeneye, you mgiht try their entry level bottling. i haven't stopped by there in a couple of years, but i really preferred it to the goldeneye. the duckhorns are good people, but i think there was a real concerted effort to make a serious wine ... and pn is just different than merlot. their entry level was bright, juicy, delicious and not at all simple ... good anderson valley pn.
    of course, my recommendation (which matt will poopoo), would be to pick up some of the navarro "a'l ancienne". great pinot at about $30.

13. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

if you like the goldeneye, you mgiht try their entry level bottling. i haven't stopped by there in a couple of years, but i really preferred it to the goldeneye. the duckhorns are good people, but i think there was a real concerted effort to make a serious wine ... and pn is just different than merlot. their entry level was bright, juicy, delicious and not at all simple ... good anderson valley pn.
    of course, my recommendation (which matt will poopoo), would be to pick up some of the navarro "a'l ancienne". great pinot at about $30.

The good news (for me) on the Goldeneye was that a local shop had the 2006 on sale last year for $29 (incl. tax). I picked up a case and still have about 5 left. After blasting through the first few bottles and then pricing their replacements I'm starting to go into hoarding mode on them. I've allocated one more to drink soon and then have 4 I'm letting sleep for a while.

I will seek out their entry level PN. Is that the Decoy? The only other of their Decoy products I've had was an entry-level Bord blend I believe (maybe a Cab, I can't remember). Wasn't really that impressed, seemed a bit thin and watery. Was on a WBTG list at a local restaurant, so maybe not a fair try.

14. foodguy

yeah, believe it was the decoy. it's the anderson valley one.