1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pie defeats cake. But what about ice cream?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sugarbutch, Jun 2, 2013.

Pie? Or ice cream?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2013.
  1. Pie

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Ice cream

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

Ice cream for sure!

I always thought my father was odd when I was younger because when we all went for ice cream, he would get Vanilla and the rest of us would be getting swirl this or candy filled that; it took me 30 years to realize that there is nothing better than a perfect vanilla

2 people like this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

There are better flavors than vanilla, but it definitely holds its own. It's far from the blandness that is typically ascribed to it.

3. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

:fistbump:

Gotta have the specks of vanilla bean in it though. French Vanilla is for plebes.

Similar story to gomestar (even though he is dead wrong on this, vanilla BEAN ice cream on pie is one of life's great pleasures)--early in my relationship with my now-wife, she wanted to surprise me with dessert. She brought home some french vanilla ice cream to go with a pie we were baking. I wouldn't touch the stuff. She ended up having to go back to the grocery store for vanilla BEAN ice cream.

Luckily she's pretty cool and that wasn't almost the end of things. Almost the end of things was the time she started crying when our team lost a basketball game and I told her it wasn't that big of a deal. She stormed out and wouldn't talk to me for a day.

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

But it has to be GOOD vanilla ice cream. Then it truly can be a masterful food.

1 person likes this.
  5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the sooner people realize that my opinions are never incorrect, the better society will be.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

THIS!

[​IMG]

it's a Cincinnati product but limited availability at Ralph's in CA... if you've not had it, you must...Black Raspberry Chip and Mocha Chocolate Chip are my faves. Graeter's has been in the argument amongst foodie's as some of the world's best ice cream. Been eating it my entire life... got some Coconut Chip in the freezer right now!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Well-Known Member

can't make a chocolate malt with pie

1 person likes this.
  8. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

A good cigar after dinner has less calories.

9. sugarbutch

I had ice cream last night. And cake later that evening. So, yeah.

10. gomestar

the frozen custard from Shake Shack is easily the best thing to get at Shake Shack. Have a tub of "coffee and donuts" in my freezer now.

11. aravenel

Wrong again! Your batting average is getting pretty low.

The Shack Stack is the best thing to get at Shake Shack... Most of the custards taste like nothing. The concretes are pretty good though, Ill grant that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  12. gomestar

i have never had a Shack Stack. But the description is more than promising.

but the custards are great. Wait for the summer specials (basil, sweet corn, etc.)

13. aravenel

To be fair, you can feel your heart struggling to pump all the grease. But it is magnificent.

The special custards always sound better than they are IMO. After trying a couple that had just the barest suggestion of the labeled flavor, I gave up on them. I'm all for strange ice cream flavors, I just wish theirs had a bit more going on.

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pie is everything cake and ice cream wish they could be.

15. Harold falcon

16. sugarbutch

It's the ice cream which makes those pies edible, Birdman.

2 people like this.
  17. Harold falcon

Nonsense. Without the pie the ice cream is just a bunch of dairy on a plate. The pie gives the ice cream structure and makes it into a beautiful thing. Pie is always better.

18. sugarbutch

Nonsense. That first one is essentially ice cream on top of crumbled cookies. Ain't nuthin' pie about it.

19. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:nodding:

20. Harold falcon

Ice cream is terrible. At best it lasts about 15 minutes when exposed to the natural elements. It is a fleeting, temporary solace for those people who desire instant gratification. Almost no one makes their own ice cream, so it's inevitably consumed by materialist assholes paying others to do the menial work of preparing it. It's filled with corn syrup and fake flavourings and steroids from the cows' milk. Ice cream is consumed by one person, individually, with most people trying different "flavours," so there's no communal aspect to ice cream. It's all about insulating precious snowflakes with their favourite "flavours" and coddling them from actually interacting with people on a social basis.

Pie, on the other hand, requires cooperation in the preparation of the item, as the whole family can come together to make it in the kitchen. Its delicious aroma warms the entire house on a cold winter's day. And in the summer the magnificent smell of an apple pie cooling on the windowsill brings a smile to anyone's face. And as the pie is enjoyed by everyone at the same time and in equal proportions it is a truly egalitarian and integrative dessert.

There can be only one. Pie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.