1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pictures of your "self distressed" denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by someoneNew, Oct 5, 2006.

1. someoneNew

someoneNew Well-Known Member

Since the majority here think that personally distressing your denim is the only way to go I'd like to see pictures of your denim with an explanation of how you did the distressing.

I'm curious to see if it looks as good as pre-distressed denim, how long it took to get the look, etc.

2. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] sandpaper... if you want worn jeans check out the pics of your denim thread.

3. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

4. someoneNew

Cheap: were those completely new dark denim when you first got them? Did they have any distressing at all or is it all done by you? How long did it take you?

Actually before and after pictures would be sweet.

5. cheapmutha

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww...
    you dont like them? is that why you got so excited when i took them off?

Cheap: were those completely new dark denim when you first got them? Did they have any distressing at all or is it all done by you? How long did it take you?

Actually before and after pictures would be sweet.

sandpaper and about 2 hours of boredom.... they were one wash and then worn for about a month or two. sandpaper and then washed 3 or 4 times. worn vwery infrequently since then(for obvious reasons)

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

worn vwery infrequently since then(for obvious reasons)
    what are the reasons? /honest question

7. cheapmutha

the distressing looks fake. after looking at all the real wear i cant stand wearing those.

i do think it looks better than alot of washes out there tho.

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

true. i'm looking at my boss's pre-distressed diesels right now [gag] and yours look waaaaaay better, FWIW.

9. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

Since the majority here think that personally distressing your denim is the only way to go I'd like to see pictures of your denim with an explanation of how you did the distressing.

Just curious if you're asking about the normal break in process, or doing something special (i.e. cheap's)?

10. someoneNew

Just curious if you're asking about the normal break in process, or doing something special (i.e. cheap's)?

I'm asking what people do (whatever that entails) to give their jeans the distressed look. I'm the only one here who doesn't mind pre-distressed denim so I thought'd it be interesting to see what all of the homemade remedies that everyone here uses to get the look they want. Also would like to see before and after pictures if possible, in conclusion I'd like to know if people actually "like" what they did.

11. cheapmutha

this is what they looked like before(from ebay)
    [​IMG]

12. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

Well, doing anything other than wearing your jeans to get that distressed look is generally frowned upon on all of the forums :p It generally comes out looking fake.

There are little things people do (starching or squats for example) that may accelerate wear a little, but it all comes down to wearing them pretty much.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

This is a pair I wore in.. about two years ago. I only wear them once in a great while now, but I still think they look rather nice. [​IMG]

14. moykky

moykky Member

Is this meant to be "artificially" distressed jeans-thread? I have a one pair of old Edwins that I had washed for some 50 times in a place where they wash (a big ocean cruisers) white bedsheets, table covers and such. They eneded up like some 80's "snow wash". I wanted a light colored pair to wear in summertime, haven't wore them even once [​IMG] (I try to take a picture)

15. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Well-Known Member

Those look nice. I'd prefer a bit more contrast though.

16. someoneNew

Well, doing anything other than wearing your jeans to get that distressed look is generally frowned upon on all of the forums :p It generally comes out looking fake.

Then lets see some before and after pics of those.

I don't care if the distressing is done by wearing denim for decades or using hungry rats and coral skeletons. I'd just like to see some before and after pics to compare to what you can get out there as a pre-distressed buy.

It's sounding more like everyone likes the natural "wear only" distress but no one does this?

17. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

If you haven't noticed, most ppl in S&D like raw denim, but like most people on Styleforum in general, they also enjoy buying stuff, so most people have like 3-4 pairs of raw jeans they're working on, meaning most of them still look... raw heh

18. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

19. LookAtHisShoes

LookAtHisShoes Member

I dont do self distress but I would recommend 575 jeans, I picked up some from Off 5th and I am really pleased with them