1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pictures of a proper fitting suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, Jan 2, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Can someone post pictures (their own, or collections of pictures of others who look good) of proper fitting suits?

I see the HOF thread but I just don't feel I can trust it, especially with people posting comments saying this and that is off etc. And not only that, there was a thread here the other day where someone (where this guy had a cut out section of his shirt cuff for a watch) posted a pic of his new suit and I thought it looked horrible and I was really surprised when some members said it looked good. I really hope they had no idea what they are talking about, this bothers me cause a suit to me is not cheap, I don't want to buy one and get it all wrong.

So it would be great if you guys can show me what a proper fitting suit is suppose to look like.

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

3. niidawg3

niidawg3 Well-Known Member

first do a search on "fit" and study what a well fitting suit should look like. then look through the many threads on here with pictures (WAYWRN, Sartorialist Looks, Non-Sartorialist Looks etc) and make your own decision on what that is.

as a forum people will have different opinions on whats great and whats not. the information you need is all available. do a little digging and studying.

4. chinoguy

chinoguy Well-Known Member

5. chinoguy

6. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Look for posts by F. Corbera or parker in WAYWN.

7. vncrz

vncrz Well-Known Member

Not me.

[​IMG]

It seems difficult to evaluate the fit of this given the pose, but I don't see anything particularly well fitting here.

The cleanest fits I've seen posted on SF are by jefferyd:

[​IMG]

[[​IMG]

8. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Didnt a member compile the best of 2010 pics ? I thought that most of the suits there fit quite well

9. chinoguy

I like the grey one but this black suit is FUGLY.

[[​IMG]

10. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

I like the grey one but this black suit is FUGLY.

It's not black, it's grey, and the wall behind it is white. But since I know what white balance is I have no real excuse.

11. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Look for posts by F. Corbera or parker in WAYWN.

I would also add Phat Guido to the list as well...

12. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Well-Known Member

I would also add Phat Guido to the list as well...

And Nii for a broader build fit.

13. Robertito

Robertito Well-Known Member

I've always liked PandArt's fits.

14. joneog

joneog Well-Known Member

I think the light grey DB posted above is as close to a perfect fit as you're going to find.

15. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

It's pulling at the waist.

16. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure no one on SF has ever seen a picture of a properly fitting suit. We continue to search for the Holy Grail, though.[​IMG] Srsly, jeffreyd's are great, vox/corbera's as well. Check this thread as well: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=2010

17. Gent

Gent Well-Known Member

An interesting read.

Seven Ways to Tell If Your Suit Fits
    http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/suit-fit-0708

Interesting is right. This, for example:

"5. Jacket sleeves should fall where the base of your thumb meets your wrist."

is wrong, though a common misconception. That's where the shirt sleeve should fall. The jacket sleeve should fall about 1 cm short of that.

In the picture, the guy's sleeves are according to the (false) rule stated above, and the shirt sleeves in particular fall in a very unattractive way over the back of the wearer's hand. It's particularly notable on the hand, which isn't carrying the briefcase. The shirt should end at the wrist, in a very clean line.

18. chinoguy

Interesting is right. This, for example:

"5. Jacket sleeves should fall where the base of your thumb meets your wrist."

is wrong, though a common misconception. That's where the shirt sleeve should fall. The jacket sleeve should fall about 1 cm short of that.

In the picture, the guy's sleeves are according to the (false) rule stated above, and the shirt sleeves in particular fall in a very unattractive way over the back of the wearer's hand. It's particularly notable on the hand, which isn't carrying the briefcase. The shirt should end at the wrist, in a very clean line.

You mean, the jacket and shirt should fall shorter than in the picture? Does the shirt sleeve always have to be showing? Is it wrong to hide it under the jacket? Newbie to suits, sorry.

19. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

You registered in 2008 and posted more than 400 posts and you are still asking such a question? Sarcasm?

20. atila

atila Well-Known Member

You mean, the jacket and shirt should fall shorter than in the picture? Does the shirt sleeve always have to be showing? Is it wrong to hide it under the jacket? Newbie to suits, sorry.

yes to both questions