1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Physics topic of your choice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Windycity, May 31, 2012.

1. Windycity

Windycity Member

For our final grade, we have to write a ten page paper that has to have some connection to physics. I'm in 11th grade. Do you guys have any topics that aren't too difficult to write about and that can fill ten pages?
    Thanks

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

2. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Newton's Bridge.

3. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Well-Known Member

develop a working Unified Field Theory

show your work

4. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

explain in depth the movement of electronics from one orbital to another, without using the oppenheimer approximation.

most of the math to do it at 11th should be. I hink it would jsut require a quick scan of how operators function

and 10 pages is easy as i assuem you know it will be filled with mostly math

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  5. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Well-Known Member

Why not write about the automobile? You can start with the physics of combustion and the transformation of fuel energy to rotational energy via the pistons. From there move on to the gear box and differential. Talk about the inertia of the tires. Drag force from the wind as the car moves. Traction of the tires to the ground. Displacement of the engine and how that relates to the torque and power of the engine. Gear ratios of the transmission. How a planetary gear works (automatic transmission) vs spur gear ( standard transmission). There will easily be 11 pages of material here.

6. why

why Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't how they teach physics now. Write a paper? Really?

I'm assuming it's not really a technical paper. It depends on your level of physics knowledge, but consider something basic that can be understood with only Newtonian mechanics but has a wide variety of applications -- a gyroscope, a flywheel, etc. You'll probably learn a bit about basic mechanics like torque, energy, and force that are necessary for understanding everyday motion but which likely aren't covered in any worthwhile detail in your curriculum.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. Windycity

Windycity Member

Awesome suggestions. Thanks a lot everyone, got some good ideas from this.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

8. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

The thermodynamics of being a lardass?

9. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

As a professional scientist, I feel I'm qualified to handle this one: eat more calories than you burn and the excess gets deposited as fat. Continue for years and you become a lardass.

10. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

I think this has to do w/ physics

11. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

10 pages please.

12. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

The task only requires 3 lines (brevity is the soul of wit and all that).

Next question!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012