1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Philly Cheese Steak

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mussel, Jun 30, 2009.

1. b-ill

b-ill Well-Known Member

I'd go to Delassandro's in Roxborough if I wanted a good cheesesteak. Most of the "big name" places suck.

2. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Well-Known Member

Yet another vote for D'alessandro's in Roxborough. Jim's is also good, but D'alessandro's was the best in my (admittedly relatively limited) experience. Pat's and Geno's were absolutely tourist traps.

Tony Luke's for the roast pork with greens and sharp provolone.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Two years ago I had a cheesesteak at Pat's or Geno's (don't remember which one -- it had a bunch of anti-Mumia stuff on the walls) and was underwhelmed. It was good, but not the religious experience I was expecting. I freely admit I like my cheesesteaks with a bunch of stuff (lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers) that would make a purist scoff.

4. mano

mano Well-Known Member

I'd go to Delassandro's in Roxborough if I wanted a good cheesesteak. Most of the "big name" places suck.

Dalassandro's was sold and isn't so great anymore. Other than Geno's and Pat's, neither of which "suck" but are at least average, what are the "big name" places? Jim's? Steve's? Tony Luke's? They're all pretty good.

5. steveoly

steveoly Well-Known Member

From a tourist's perspective (been to Philly like 4 times) and I find myself constantly eating when I visit, I slightly prefer Geno's over Pat's. I can see how locals or those who frequent the Big 2 places find them a bit overrated. But when you live in the midwest and all you have are mall eatery cheese steaks, there's nothing like a visit to Philly. Hell, I once got a cheese steak at a gas station in Philly and it was fantastic...it really is all about the hoagie roll.

Last visit, I ate 2 Geno's and 1 Pat's in a sitting, and if I had to cast a vote, it would be for Geno's. Also, the last time I had Jim's, I found it way too dry. I've never tried Tony Luke's.

On a different note, Lorenzo and Sons pizza is hands down my favorite pie of all time.

6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

^^ yeah I used to live on South Street ... Lorenzo's definitely has some good pizza. I also like Randazzo's, which is further west on South Street.

7. asnexprss

asnexprss Well-Known Member

Pat's is alright, nothing special. Jim's is horrible.

My go-to is Chubby's in Roxborough . . . so good I still can't be bothered to go to Delessandros's down the street. Want to try John's, but agreed, the hours are horrible, as well as Chink's.

One place that surprised me alot was Sonny's Famous Steaks in Old City.

8. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

^^ yeah I used to live on South Street ... Lorenzo's definitely has some good pizza. I also like Randazzo's, which is further west on South Street.

Is this the Lorenzo's on the north side of South, just west of 3rd?

9. b-ill

b-ill Well-Known Member

My go-to is Chubby's in Roxborough . . . so good I still can't be bothered to go to Delessandros's down the street. Want to try John's, but agreed, the hours are horrible, as well as Chink's.

Yep, Chubby's is also great. And I agree on Sonny's. Probably the place I go to the most since it's the closest to me.

10. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

Is this the Lorenzo's on the north side of South, just west of 3rd?

Yep, that's the place. Randazzo's is between 16th and 17th on South from what I recall (haven't lived on South Street in about five years).

11. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Other than Geno's and Pat's, neither of which "suck" but are at least average, what are the "big name" places? Jim's? Steve's? Tony Luke's? They're all pretty good.

100% agree with this. A lot of folks around Philly love to shit on Pat's and Geno's. I dunno, they taste good to me. Of the two, I generally choose Pat's, but if the line's shorter at Geno's that works.

Look, a cheesesteak is not a complicated thing. It's got 4 ingredients (three if you heathenously get it wit out). You need the Amoroso's roll. Wiz is Wiz. It's hard to fuck up fried onions. That leaves the meat and the proportions of ingredients as differentiators. As long as the meat isn't really fatty/stringy and none of the ingredients overwhelms the others, you've got yourself a good cheesesteak as far as I'm concerned.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Fredo's in Pasadena, CA had the best I've ever tried.

we ate there religiously every sunday for lunch. Fredo's is still there but it's a new owner and is not the same sandwich. The original owner Dan is supposed to reopen with a new place but who knows when that's gonna happen, or where exactly

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Last visit, I ate 2 Geno's and 1 Pat's in a sitting, and if I had to cast a vote, it would be for Geno's. Also, the last time I had Jim's, I found it way too dry. I've never tried Tony Luke's.

On a different note, Lorenzo and Sons pizza is hands down my favorite pie of all time.

^^ yeah I used to live on South Street ... Lorenzo's definitely has some good pizza.

+1

Damn, I hate Sonny's. It's way too dry.

14. jessetk313

jessetk313 Well-Known Member

Yea I used to work right across from Dinic's in the terminal, boy do I miss the free sandwhiches. The Beef Brisket with peppers and provolone is IMO the best sandwhich they offer. MMMmm was it tasty.

15. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

I freely admit I like my cheesesteaks with a bunch of stuff (lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers) that would make a purist scoff.

A purist will tell you that the sandwich you describe is a steak and cheese, not a cheesesteak. That said, I love a good steak and cheese in the summer with lettuce, real ripe summer tomato, and lots of mayo.

16. inmytree14

inmytree14 Member

cheestesteaks are late night eats for boys
    real men consume a philly taco

take one super large slice of lorenzo's pizza [south st] - wrap around cheesesteak of choice [jim's across the street if going for convenience] - attempt to eat while still maintaining self respect

[in all seriousness, get tony luke's italian steak - cheesesteak w/ broccoli rabe and ridiculously sharp provolone]

17. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Well-Known Member

Wiz, wit, from Geno's.
    Oh, and don't forget to order in English!

Actually, my favorite sandwich is a Pork Frussco, from Frussco's on Frankford Ave. in the North East. Roast pork, broccoli rabe, sharp provolone on a roll from Sarcones' bakery. Now that's some good eats!

18. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the place. Randazzo's is between 16th and 17th on South from what I recall (haven't lived on South Street in about five years).

Is Lorenzo himself still around? I lived on 3rd & Munroe when he opened - he used to pick up a baseball bat whenever a slightly rowdy kids came in and bang it on the counter. I liked the chicken-pizza steak at Ishkabibbles down a ways.....

A purist will tell you that the sandwich you describe is a steak and cheese, not a cheesesteak. That said, I love a good steak and cheese in the summer with lettuce, real ripe summer tomato, and lots of mayo.

Cheesesteak hoagie, no?

19. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

Another horrible creation that cannot be even called food.
    Crappy beef covered by crappy cheese on spongy stale bun. Yammmm.
    Why not put Hershey shitty chocolate on top? Sweet and cheesy = delicious.

20. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Another horrible creation that cannot be even called food.
    Crappy beef covered by crappy cheese on spongy stale bun. Yammmm.
    Why not put Hershey shitty chocolate on top? Sweet and cheesy = delicious.