1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Philly Cheese Steak

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mussel, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

What's your fav?

Pat's or Gino's? Or any other establishments?

Wit or wit out (with or w/o onion)?

Cheese Wiz or American or Provolone?

Pepper? Mushroom?

2. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

tony lukes provolone without

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

4. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

how anyone can put cheez wiz in their mouth is beyond my comprehension.

5. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

how anyone can put cheez wiz in their mouth is beyond my comprehension.

prefer cum?

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Jersey Mike's makes a real good one. I am pretty sure they use white american cheese, always fresh sliced. Get mine just meat and cheese.

This place called Sensational Subs in Atlanta makes the self described "Best Cheesesteak South of Philly" which is quite nice. White American cheese as well, good toasted bun. Good shit. Too bad they closed (or rather, were the victims of eminent domain) the their shop near my house. Their only other restaurant is in Downtown.

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

the cheesesteak is generally a thoroughly vile and disgusting concoction. that being said, there are practitioners of the 'art' who do make a truly sublime sandwich. i'm going back 20 years, but big john's in cherry hill, chubby's and d'alessandros in roxborough...

8. Milhouse

Milhouse Well-Known Member

I've never been to Philly, so I've never had a "Philly cheese steak".

When I was younger, I liked cheese steaks, but these days, I find them far too greasy.

9. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Pat's is good but I think Fredo's in Pasadena, CA had the best I've ever tried. Too bad they supposedly moved into the catering truck business in the fall and disappeared.

10. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-Known Member

Never had an official Philly cheese steak sandwich but my preferences for a steak sandwich are onion, peppers (either sauted red/green or hot pepper/banana type), swiss or provolone. One of my favorite things to make with those ultra cheap pieces of thin steak from the grocery [​IMG]

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I've had Pat's and Geno's and they are not bad and there was not enough difference for me to care.

There are a lot of Cheese Steaks out there.

12. cheessus

cheessus Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the Philly cheese steak, as I cannot bring myself to like anything coming from Philadelphia other than Independence Hall.

However, I like the "traditional" cheese steak with onions and wiz.

The best cheese steak in the DC Metro area would be Al's Steak Shop. Oh yeah, don't forget to add fried eggs.

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the Philly cheese steak, as I cannot bring myself to like anything coming from Philadelphia other than Independence Hall.

However, I like the "traditional" cheese steak with onions and wiz.

The best cheese steak in the DC Metro area would be Al's Steak Shop. Oh yeah, don't forget to add fried eggs.

Really?[​IMG]

14. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

wiz wit extra on my steaks..... damn I wish I could get one right now

15. jaydc7

jaydc7 Well-Known Member

Tony Lukes is far better than Pat's and Gino's, and they have just become tourist traps.

Jim's is my favorite in Philly though.

Also, I hate wiz...

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I sure could go for one of them Philly Cheese Steaks right now, yessireee ahum.

17. greekonomist

greekonomist Well-Known Member

They're just called cheesesteaks.

provolone wit FTW.

Occasionally I'll add peppers. Wiz wits are best for late night drunken binges. Wiz is generally vile, but magic happens in that Amoroso roll when it melds with the grease from the steak.

18. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Well-Known Member

The only 2 days I spent in Philadelphia were for summer law firm interviews, and I was determined to solve the mystery in my own mind. They put me in some luxury hotel so I had to ride on the subway quite a bit, but I eventually found Pat's and Geno's after drunkenly stumbling around for a while. I had Pat's the first night, and the second day (after the interview, mind you) I had Geno's. Gotta say I preferred my Geno's whiz wit. I would never in a million years considered getting whiz, but luckily my favorite professor was from Philly and he threatened my life if I didn't get whiz. I took his advice, and I was satisfied. Geno's whiz wit.

19. jessetk313

jessetk313 Well-Known Member

Being from the Killadelph Steve's Steaks in Northeast Philly is by far the best cheesesteak I've ever had.

20. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

pats and ginos are way overrated.

wogies in nyc is pretty damn good