1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

"Personal Style"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mensimageconsultant, Oct 20, 2006.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

What do you think of when you hear the phrase "personal style"? Don't worry - this isn't an opening for a lecture on personal style from an image consulting perspective.

2. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

When I hear people say it they are usually defending something about their style that is ugly. Sure it can mean other things, but almost always when people talk specifically about "personal style" it's something negative. In fact, the first thing that came to mind when I read this was people who have ugly tattoos. I remember this one guy who had "soul" in kanji printed on his arm(yes, he was white and couldn't even read the dam thing) and went on and one about it had a deep personal meaning to him because thats what connected his body and mind. [​IMG]

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

The particular range on the spectrum of known style where one spends most of one's time, combined with one's particular pecadilloes -- the rules one most often breaks.

Regards,
    Huntsman

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Somebody who does not need a lecture from an "image consulting perspective".

5. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

When I hear people say it they are usually defending something about their style that is ugly. Sure it can mean other things, but almost always when people talk specifically about "personal style" it's something negative. In fact, the first thing that came to mind when I read this was people who have ugly tattoos. I remember this one guy who had "soul" in kanji printed on his arm(yes, he was white and couldn't even read the dam thing) and went on and one about it had a deep personal meaning to him because thats what connected his body and mind. [​IMG]

That's an interesting perspective, thanks. Does anyone else agree with it?

6. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Lexically speaking it’s a bullshit term brought out by the same camp that ascribes “Character” to Hennessey. There are people who have a style that is personal and there are those that have a “Personal Style” (note the use of quotations). It’s a term affected people use to describe how not affected they are.

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

Refers to how a person carries himself, through life's journey.