1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Performers you wish you had seen in concert

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Yeah - Sinatra. I've been listening to a live recording from the Sands in 1966 (not sure exactly what it is, a friend burned it for me) with the Count Basie Orchestra. Wow - both he and the band are so good and so loose (I think he may be a little toasted) and his stage banter is sprikled with off-color jokes. A great recording.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elvis in Vegas. If you could cherry pick the best shows, I bet he was really on a few times.

Michael Jackson, early Thriller era. I saw an interview with Jimmy Jam once and he was commenting on Prince as a live performer. He said he was the second best he'd ever seen. After Michael. His tone suggested that, yes, Prince is very special, but Michael is something else entirely.

Some of the coolest shows I've seen:
    The Replacements at the Coach House in OC

Pharoah Sanders at a tiny bar in Oakland - The Bird Cage

Jane's Addiction - a bunch of early shows at tiny clubs (these might be the best shows I've ever seen - they were playing full fledged arena rock in tiny little rooms - overwhelming shit)

Jeff Buckley on the Grace tour in a small bar in Dallas. This show was so poorly promoted that reps from Sony were out in the street giving tickets away to passers by. When I told them I'd bought my ticket weeks ago, they took my address and sent me a bunch of promotional materials and a CD in gratitude. They ended up filling the club with a bunch of Mexican dishwashers and businessmen and frat guys that were wandering around Deep Ellum. There were about 15 actual fans (including Eric Stoltz, who was shooting a movie in Dallas) near the stage and about 75 of these randoms talking loudly in the back. Buckley and his band came out and set up on stage amid the general chaos and inattention. He was so fucking cool - his hair was hanging down into his eyes. he was wearing a long fur coat and he looked totally high. He walked up to the mic, he shrugged the coat off his shoulders and if fell down to the floor, and he started singing the first verse of Mojo Pin a cappella with most of the crowd making a racket and ignoring the stage. By the end of the verse, the whole bar was totally silent and staring at the stage, jaws agape. That was the most unreal demonstration of stage presence I've ever seen.

2. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

The Replacements at the Coach House in OC

I can only imagine - was Bob still in the band?

I saw Paul on his last tour, and it was one of the loosest, most fun shows I've ever seen; just a bunch of aging punks clowning and having a blast playing old hits and goofy covers.

3. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

Thelonius Monk
    Charles Mingus
    Cannonball Adderley
    Cab Calloway
    Louis Jordan
    Louis Prima
    June Christy in her prime
    Oliver Nelson-Blues and the Abstract Truth
    Albert King
    The Man in Black
    Jaco Patorius
    Nancy Wilson
    Jean Carne
    Eddie Hazell
    Eddie Harris
    Jackie Wilson
    Chuck Berry 50's-80's
    Santana-missed a chance to work back stage at his show at UMASS Amherst and have regretted it since.
    Bob Marley- Was scheduled to come to UMASS but his cancer progressed.

4. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

The Theme & Variations he did with Kirkland I saw on tape was just beyond description.

A friend of mine just gave me a copy of this, and it's pretty incredible. Baryshnikov's said that this is the most physically difficult piece he's ever danced. Funny thing about Balanchine choreography is how simple the basic steps are, yet the combination, repetition, and timing of them makes it so hard.

I'm not sure who the ballerina was --- it was an excerpt from a Great Performances broadcast. I've seen the out-of-print video of his and Markarova's Giselle though. That ought to be re-released on DVD.

Speaking of great partnerships, have you seen Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg, especially in Giselle? That's one pair everyone ought to see before it's too late.

--Andre

5. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

Also, Baron, I didn't read your whole Buckley thing until now. That has to be one of the best "I saw them when..." stories I've ever heard.

I spent a little time in Dallas - which place in Deep Ellum?

6. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I can only imagine - was Bob still in the band?
    No - he had just left and some guy they called Memphis Slim was playing guitar. I don't know why I remember that.

Also, Baron, I didn't read your whole Buckley thing until now. That has to be one of the best "I saw them when..." stories I've ever heard.

I spent a little time in Dallas - which place in Deep Ellum?

It was some place called the Main Bar - I don't think it's been called that for a long time now. It was the only time I'd ever been there. It was a strange place to have a show.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i would love to have seen Chopin at work frustratingly composing his etudes and such.

Franz Liszt of course.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I wish I'd seen Jenna Jameson dance live when she was 18... and maybe Eva Angelina before she got her implants. [​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I wish I'd seen Jenna Jameson dance live when she was 18... and maybe Eva Angelina before she got her implants.

[​IMG]

I'd like to have seen Blaze Starr dance. They used to call her Miss Spontaneous Combustion.

[​IMG]

10. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

Paul Robeson
    Satin Doll if that counts!

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

12. BDC2823

BDC2823 Well-Known Member

I wish I'd seen Jenna Jameson dance live when she was 18... and maybe Eva Angelina before she got her implants.

[​IMG]

Eh, went to high school with her but don't remember her all too well so she couldn't have been that hot back then. I have a pretty good memory of those girls that were hot back then. Perhaps I should dig up one of the ole yearbooks.

13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

14. why

why Well-Known Member

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Eh, went to high school with her but don't remember her all too well so she couldn't have been that hot back then. I have a pretty good memory of those girls that were hot back then. Perhaps I should dig up one of the ole yearbooks.

It's quite possible, but there was a distinct period of post-HS, pre-implant Eva that was really hot.

16. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

The WHO with Keith Moon
    Circa 1973 or 75 Zeppelin
    Return to Forever
    Nirvana
    Sinatra / Rat Pack
    The Clash circa 1977

17. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Biggie
    Nirvana
    Sinatra
    Clash

Interesting that so many people have said Rachmaninoff, particularly since many think Horowitz played the Third better. There is something to be said, of course, of seeing the master tame the beast. I saw Yefim Bronfman perform the Third this past summer - amazing.

18. DBowers

DBowers Well-Known Member

Pavarotti. Too late...

19. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Pantera. I don't know that I'd want to see them now, but I would have loved to have seen them when I was a teenager, or maybe my early 20s. Of all the really heavy bands I liked back then, Pantera was the only one I never saw live.

Also, the usual suspects: Hendrix and The Who in particular.

RATM

[​IMG]

Yes. I keep hoping they'll actually do a reunion tour so I can see them. They are probably the top band on my "I was alive and a fan when they were touring, but I still managed to miss them and it kills me" list.

I did see Tom Morello when he did the first Nightwatchman tour, and I got to meet him during a meet-and-greet. That was pretty cool.

20. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Louis Armstrong