1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Percent disposable income spent on clothing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jerrybrowne, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Well-Known Member

It's never too late to do the right thing.

2. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

It's never too late to do the right thing.

quoted for truth

young man, do the right thing

3. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

College student - about 50% of disposable income goes on clothes.

I've bought a lot recently, though, so I'm now reigning it in.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

So I'm getting married soon and am horrified that my wife to be will "rein in" my spending. How much do you guys spend PERCENTAGE WISE of your disposable income on clothes, and does it ever get you in trouble with your sig. other.

Sorry to be indiscreet, but I can see this is going to be a MAJOR issue with my wife.

Let me put this to you in all seriousness: do not marry this woman. If this is already, before the nuptials, a significant issue with your bride-to-be, you can scarcely imagine what fresh hell your life will be after the vows are exchanged. While I recognize that every marriage calls for compromise, a relationship with this significant an issue at hand going into it will sour very quickly.

5. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Also, I bet 50 bucks that the wife is reigning the dude in so she can spend more herself lol

6. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

Yes, this has become a major sticking point resulting in constant arguments during wedding planning which has become a complete nightmare! You can't imagine the kind of nonsense she's willing to spend what seems like limitless amounts of money on. Is this what you guys had to go through?

7. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? You're marrying a woman with whom you argue over such petty things and disagree with on an absolutely fundamental issue - that being finances?

SERIOUSLY, sort this out BEFORE the wedding. (And be reasonable - maybe it's not her fault. Maybe you do spend too much on clothes).

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Yes, this has become a major sticking point resulting in constant arguments during wedding planning which has become a complete nightmare! You can't imagine the kind of nonsense she's willing to spend what seems like limitless amounts of money on. Is this what you guys had to go through?

I married an angel from god...I continue to spend too much on clothing and she is cool with it, even enabling to a degree. This made me realize myself that I should tone it down a bit, and have...unless that was her diabolical plan...[​IMG]

9. Macallan9

Macallan9 Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I dumped a girl so I'd have more money to spend on clothes and rock climbing and biking accessories.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

All relationships demand compromise. All relationships have their fair share of conflict. From the limited information you've presented, it seems like this goes far beyond what a relationship can reasonably be expected to handle.

I realize right now you are probably caught in the maw of inertia. The wedding is being planned. Things are moving forward.

But you still have a chance to get out. The sooner you act the better.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

SERIOUSLY, sort this out BEFORE the wedding. (And be reasonable - maybe it's not her fault. Maybe you do spend too much on clothes).
    QFT

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

So I'm getting married soon and am horrified that my wife to be will "rein in" my spending. How much do you guys spend PERCENTAGE WISE of your disposable income on clothes, and does it ever get you in trouble with your sig. other.

Sorry to be indiscreet, but I can see this is going to be a MAJOR issue with my wife.

Thanks!

not alot.

i would say the majority of the stuff i buy that is beyond the normal and necessary underwear, dress shirt, socks, etc, lot of the superfluous items i purchase is funded through sales.

13. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Also, I bet 50 bucks that the wife is reigning the dude in so she can spend more herself lol

Will your so allow you to honor your bet?

14. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the idea. I have been on a TEAR. 3 suits, 2 sport coats, 4 pants 5 shirts, on watch, cufflinks, aligator belts, silver belt buckle, silver cufflinks, ties etc it has been crazy. Normally I spend maybe 10% on clothes, these two months leading to the wedding, it has been 80%. Eating rice and spaghetti all day long to save for the clothes. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!! I'm in TROUBLE

Time to form a support group.

15. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Take a few minutes to read this. It's bizarre, but might assist your particular circumstances.
    No Marriage.com

16. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

And it's only a problem if you tell her... [​IMG]

You have to learn to spell out half-truths , to have a selective memory and creative accounting...
    You could be a banker with that kind of attributes..

[​IMG]

17. breitlingman

breitlingman Well-Known Member

I just got married a month ago, and I spend most of my disposible income on watches and accessories, less so on clothing. But she had been living with my and knew everything i bought since i would show her and tell her how much I paid. After getting married, the issue wasn't so much as how to deal with how much less I should spend, but how to be fair since she wasn't used to spending so much, and likely it would be difficult for her to spend as much as I was as well since there is an income gap.

We still haven't figured it out, but she is spending much more now in the last month already than she did before. And I have been forced to spend less! I compensate by selling stuff I have to fund new stuff.

FTR, I spend around 10% of my income on clothing/watches/accessories.

EDIT: Just noticed it said percentage of disposible income... maybe more like 70% of my disposible income on clothing/watches/accessories. The rest on eating out maybe. What else is there to spend it on???

18. HedgeFundHotSHot

HedgeFundHotSHot Well-Known Member

around .0002 % to get bespoke

but percent dosent really work to gauge this
    first we have far outliers.. from college studetns to hedge fund hot shots

should ask the exact value

19. AgentQ

AgentQ Well-Known Member

around .0002 % to get bespoke but percent dosent really work to gauge this first we have far outliers.. from college studetns to hedge fund hot shots should ask the exact value
    Hm, are referring to yourself, hot shot? Because even if you you are going all bespoke and are making limited additions to your wardrobe on a yearly basis, say $10k (e.g., one suit, two pairs of shoes, an odd jacket), that means your disposable income is $5 billion. [​IMG]

20. Macallan9

Macallan9 Well-Known Member

Take a few minutes to read this. It's bizarre, but might assist your particular circumstances.
    No Marriage.com

That site is depressing as hell, but has probably changed my outlook on marriage and kids...