1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Well-Known Member

...and people wonder why Richard Pryor lit himself on fire. :(

what's the standard tipping rate in NYC? Which relatively inexpensive (sushi) places should I go to?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

The standard tip in America is 15-20%

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Has anybody brough up that scene in Reservior Dogs yet?

OK, carry on.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I thought about it actually. Mr. Pink and stuff.

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This is actually very rare on both fronts. At least in places I worked. I never actually saw anyone intentionally doing that save for a few occasions.

Messing with check totals is another topic.

Buffet's arent any different. People generally tipped a little less, meaning a few more 15% tips that usual but its the same thing.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

adultery is illegal in more places than the military. so if your basic premise is fundamentally wrong, how is it possible that you could win the argument? also, how old are you, btw. I remember you saying once that you were young.

and actually, speaking about laws, IIRC, the reason restaurants can avoid paying the mandated minimum wage is because it is codified that tips would cover the deficit. So yeah, you kind of are legally expected to tip.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

He is in the ATL, Ed. Take him under your wing. Cuddle him a little.

8. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

The people that I have worked with and myself have thought about spitting in customers' (the extremely rude ones) food before, but no one has actually gone through with it.

9. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

I once saw a surveillance video on one of those SHOCKING VIDEO tv shows of a Krispy Kreme employee who was angry with a customer for requesting hot glazed doughnuts. He went into the back and ejaculated on the freshly glazed doughnuts. Ended up in jail for a few months I think

10. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

True story..

The police in Dover closed a kebab shop after finding the garlic sauce has a quite high spunk content...

All these guys and firls eating spunk kebabs is just revolting...

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

They should be different. It's not full service. I think it is fair to tip about 10% for brining drinks and clearing the table. But i have to get up and get my own food? I'm serving myself here. You can tip 20% if you're generous, but I think that is the high end and should not be expected by staff.

12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Yeah, rage tends to get you thinking of doing things like that but you have to border on psychotic to follow thru with it. I told the dick dunk story on another page - that was the only instance I have ever seen where it was fully deserved. Asshole customers? They have to live with themselves.

Spitting in food is a pretty sick act. It take some serious gumption to actually do it.

Its a shift. A shift is a shift regardless of what you are serving.

For example do you pay a baby sitter 1/2 the wage once the kids go to sleep? No. Same thing.

13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

You know its interesting, reading this thread has produced some pretty raw and untamed opinions. It fits with what I had seen as a waiter in the real world. I have often thought that people were wringing their hands being FORCED to give me their money and that somehow I didnt deserve it. I could sometimes see it in their faces, like a married couple where the guy was thinking about college tuition and you could see his jaw tighten and temples bulge as he signed.

Tipping a waiter is a pretty fair assessment of who you are as a person:

Do you accept social norms even if they differ from your own culture?

Are you generous?

Are you thoughtful?

Do you favor people because of attractiveness?

Can you treat a "servant" as an equal?

Do you understand what service is and appreciate it?

Do you try to impress people thru spending?

Were you raised well?

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Interesting. Tell me, do you get upset when you don't get extra ranch dressing or nappies with your meal? Is it a problem if you don't get a "To-go-Coke" following your meal?

Seriously, you're pathetic. Enjoy Sizzlers, peasant.

15. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

when my wife and i were dating we went to a really fancy bar in london, we ordered 2 waters, the guy told me there is a 15 pound minimum charge so i said ok whatever. when i went to pay i got hit with a 30 pound bill. i thought i could either make a scene and my wife will think i'm an asshole or just pay the man and leave. i paid. i think the price was made up of the privilege to sit in such a a prestigious place and the service, the drinks were free!

16. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

I can take as much fucking cottage cheese as I want. There's no law against it. I can push this fucking old lady out of the way and take all of her cottage cheese. As soon as they refill that pan I'm at the buffet. I'm not even hungry, but what can I say, greed is good. Don't even bother trying to get some cottage cheese old lady, you won't win.

1 person likes this.
  17. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Question: If it is written on the menu that the tip is included in the bill, would you tip extra just to have the "i left a dollar bills for the waiter" feeling?
    and to those who don't tip... would you walk out?? [​IMG]

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Probably not. Its a pretty dumb move to add service unless there is a good reason. I dont condone it further thru giving an extra tip.

19. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Well-Known Member

lol.

Where is that notorious ranch and coke thread at? I have always wanted to read it.

20. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Hahaha there's more crazy shit going on in this thread at the moment than I've ever seen in a CE thread!