1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I pay 2 housekeepers $100 to clean. It takes them about 2-3 hours. They really do a great job. They came today and the place shines.

2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Nope, actually I looked it up and it was Jean-Georges Vongerichten. He was sued for 1.75m to 2.2m $. Besides the lawyers' fees he withheld something like 1.1 to 1.5 million dollars just from tipping. Not bad..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/09/17/us-newyork-restaurants-settlement-idUSN1731439420080917
    http://www.meeja.com.au/index.php?display_article_id=229

3. Groves

Groves Well-Known Member

I'm not asking for a policy change or anything, I'm just asking what justifies the tip amount if the same service was given in both situations, and the tip is essentially for the service. It just doesn't seem like an answer to me; there can't be a good system for tipping, so we just have to go with what we have, and that is to pay a % of what your meal costs.

And don't get me wrong, I've worked in a restaurant for a bit, so to some degree, I understand where people are coming from. And I do understand that if I eat out in the same place consistently, it's best to be on great standing with the staff. But this is something that has always bothered me and I've had issue coming up with a logical justification.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Correct.

I think this might be something which is unique to US culture.

EDIT:

I've never really understood why American's actually do this tipping thing. Surely you get your restaurant bill, and that's it, or you pay the taxi what's on the meter, no more. I've seen tipping being done in American movies and TV shows, but never seen it for real.

I've seen 'Service charge' on restaurant menus and bills, e.g. 'All prices plus 10% service charge', but that's mandatory, you have to pay it. Similar with the 'delivery fee' when you order pizza delivery, or 'booking fee' when one buys a theatre ticket.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-service-charge.htm
    "What Is a Service Charge?

Another type of service charge has many people confused. This is when people at restaurants are told to pay a set percentage of the bill as a service fee in lieu of a tip. Many waiters and waitresses can point to the immediate problems with this scenario. Any fee is not a tip and belongs to the restaurant owner and not to the waiter or waitress. This means the owner can distribute the fee in any manner he sees fit, or can keep all of it."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Well-Known Member

This is the entire premise of my argument in this thread.

6. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Well-Known Member

I love how people are dismissing that part of the discussion. When you mention that part, all they do is dish out insults. Which means that they know we're right, but don't want to admit it.

7. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

Please note i never said i knew how thing work in canada and USA, But you do know mexico is part of NA correct? so i do know how things work in one part of it.
    and in respect to europe, i know a construction grunt in certain parts is paid about 800-850 euros a month, the smae with maids if you decide to go legal, less if not.

and though the question is what is their job worth on that we can agree, but how do you calculate that? i would say based upon two factors, the job market at the time and the level of work(basically how much knowledge is required).how hard a job is shoudl nto fit in the picture. if it actually mattered why should any politician be making more than a coal miner?

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

A 20% service charge is just a raise in price. You pay extra for having the opportunity to sit at the large table with your friends. It's not extortion, and if you don't like it, eat somewhere where they don't do it. Pretty simple, yeah?

The problem is that your thinking is extremely narrow. You are already supporting the waiters, and somebody else is supporting you. The culture here is for the support to be divided in a certain way -- by tip and wage, but that doesn't change that the fact that stripped bare, it is the same as any other payment situation. Do you rail against the indignity of being forced to support your employees?

I know, it just isn't a good argument. You are going to have to learn to deal with that.

Now that I have responded to you three geniuses and told you why you are not right, I can now tell you that you are awful, disgusting people and I assume that your parents either are as well or are totally embarrassed by how you think about the world around you.

9. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Most don't

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Extortion? Please. You're choosing to go out and eat. It is not like whenever you prepare dinner at home for yourself a waiter shows up with a gun and demands 20% of the cost of the meal.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Um, I know many construction grunts that make six figures. Sure it is physical labor and long hours at times, but they aren't starving by any means.

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    What the hell is going on with this thread? :crazy:

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Atlanta has shown itself to have a brand new failure.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Gekko is a troll, dashaafin is asian and stylemeup is in Toronto. Their lack of social graces are easily explained...

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

Whatever your personal tipping habits, you gotta admire the ingenuity of it all, especially if you are a US restaurant owner.
    Through tipping, owners have managed to convince people to do work for them for less than minimum wage, freeing them from managerial responsibilities such as ensuring high turn rate or optimizing staff utilization, and adding a nice random component to employee compensation.
    When wait staff goes home with a light pay cheque for that day, instead of blaming themselves or their bosses, they blame it on the customers with whom they have no contractual relationship whatsoever.

16. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

but if you read this thread, they make the the expected tip of 15 to 20% sound nearly contractual.

i also bet you would have problem hiring people if you paid the waiters 10 usd an hour but made it explicit to the customers that tips should not be given.

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

A few years ago I took a friend out for dinner. Dinner was served and about 3 mouthfulls into our food my friend showed me a half-rotten piece of red pepper in her dinner.
    I summoned the waitress. She asked (smiling), 'Is everything OK?'
    I looked at her dead serious and said, 'Have your manager come here right away please.'
    Manager came, a young man in his late twenties, and he said, 'Good evening did you want to speak to me?'
    I forked the pepper and raised it so he could see the problem and said, Is it policy here to serve rotten food to customers?'
    He looked horrified, profusely apologized, and offered to have our dinners remade for us.
    I looked at my friend and said, 'Would that be alright with you? Do you think we can trust them?'
    The manager assured my friend that he would personally supervise our dinners being made.
    She said, 'Alright, that will be fine'.
    The Manager said the meal will be free of charge and also, he offered us a complimentary drink.
    We accepted, and were served a beer each within 10 seconds of ordering it.
    As we were seated not far from the kitchen, we could see the manager take our first plates to the kitchen and he screamed at the staff.
    It was like out of a movie; him screaming and checking every single part of the process of our dinners being remade.
    Our new dinners were served personally by him with additional apologies and told us if we need anything at all to ask for him.
    Dinner now proved to be quite delicious and well made.
    When the time came for me to ask the waitress for the bill, the manager returned with her and reassured us that the meal and drinks were complimentary.
    I smiled at this forthright young man and told him, 'There won't be a need for that. We alerted you to the problem and you corrected it, and we are quite happy with this.
    I will accept the complimentary drinks but your staff works hard and must be paid, therefore please allow me to pay for the meal.
    After refusing several times, he finally accepted. I paid for the meal and gave a 30% tip and complimented him and his waitress and his staff for making our stay enjoyable.
    I also told him and the waitress at his side that it was an honour to have been served by such good and caring people such as them.
    He gave me his business card and asked me to call him should we return; that he would personally guarantee us sterling service.
    We thanked him, left and sadly have not since returned.
    That was a rare experience to see restuarant staff turn a bad situation into a most pleasurable one.
    My point of sharing this, is that where there are good people there will be good service and food. I believe they do try hard and break their backs and a little courtesy all around can make these experiences a lot better. Give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to correct any problem before resorting to more drastic measures.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

^^ Damn, you dont fuck around.

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Its probably more to do with home training.

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Can't believe I read the entire thing....

Your argument is wrong. The system is set up to tip so you are actually depriving people of the wages they are expected to accumulate from you, the customer. If you think there is a problem with that then you need to lobby your elected officials. However, since you are not of voting age, you lack the chief mechanism to do so and also the experience to know what you are doing. And yes, your being 17 does matter. You know at least have an excuse for your crude, poorly reasoned libertarianism. However, once you become a Libertarian (note the punctuation) this will just be par for the course.

Awwwwwwwwww yeah!

This is wrong. too lazy to type it out.