1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

People never make enough gravy!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VKK3450, Oct 14, 2008.

1. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Why do people never make enough gravy? We were at a friend's for Canadian thanksgiving and the gravy was slammin. But of course, it ran out during the meal itself, nevermind having some for the leftover turkey sandwiches.

There is always tons of turkey, but never enough gravy.

K

2. garmentmerchant

garmentmerchant Well-Known Member

I love the gravy also. A lot of people make the gravy out of the juices in the pan, sometimes there just isnt enough juice[​IMG]

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

What is wrong with your friends? We generally have too much and have to freeze our leftover gravy.

4. VKK3450

What is wrong with your friends? We generally have too much and have to freeze our leftover gravy.

I dont know. I'm asking myself the same question.

Should I ditch them in favour of gravy smart friends?

K

5. garmentmerchant

garmentmerchant Well-Known Member

definately its time for change

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I dont know. I'm asking myself the same question.

Should I ditch them in favour of gravy smart friends?

K

It depends.

If they do the turkey right and keep good liquor on hand, it would probably work out better if you adjusted their gravy capacity. Evaluating new friends based on their gravy-IQ is kind of sketchy, largely because you never know what they'll get wrong. The turkey should be fine of course - I've not met the fool who could ruin a turkey but get the gravy right. But the liquor and side dishes are another matter entirely.

Tread carefully here, and if you have doubts, use a pro/con chart to assess the situation.

7. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

BTW - if you brine the turkey beforehand and add a bit of stock to the pan (for the aromatics) while roasting, you should have plenty of juice to work with.

8. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I like turkey lurkey.

9. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

It depends.

If they do the turkey right and keep good liquor on hand, it would probably work out better if you adjusted their gravy capacity. Evaluating new friends based on their gravy-IQ is kind of sketchy, largely because you never know what they'll get wrong. The turkey should be fine of course - I've not met the fool who could ruin a turkey but get the gravy right. But the liquor and side dishes are another matter entirely.

Tread carefully here, and if you have doubts, use a pro/con chart to assess the situation.

This is wise. Do not be tempted by the quantity of sauce over the quality of the bird (I'm assuming OP wouldn't anyways).

10. VKK3450

No, the turkey was good, sides were good, booze was (always is) good. Some of us did contribute on the sides and booze though. I just dont understand how there is always too much turkey, potatoes, veggies, but never enough gravy!!

Thomas, I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving.

Maybe I should do a spider chart, or some sort of weighted average evaluation or KPIs or something to asses my friendships

K

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Gravy quality is inversely proportional to gravy quantity.

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Not necessarily the case every time. For an operation that does up two or more birds at Thanksgiving, quanitity and quality should go hand-in-hand.

13. VKK3450

I understand that there is a fond limitation, but if you know that gravy is needed you should be finding a way to handle that shit. Fry off the neck bones and make some gravy supplement off that shit or something.

K

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

That's not what she said.

15. pajames

pajames Well-Known Member

A few days before Thanksgiving I buy some turkey wings and necks and make a bunch of brown turkey stock. From that and the drippings you can make as much gravy as you like and have stock leftover to freeze for later.

16. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I make enough gravy, and excellent fucking gravy, to boot. you can come to my house for thanksgiving, if you want.

17. lpresq

lpresq Well-Known Member

I am sensing this is a call for a "Campaign for Real Gravy...and lots of it!!" I believe Gordan Ramsay predicted this on an episode of Kitchen Nightmares.

18. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of gravy. Whenever I roast some kind of meat, I make a gravy, from scratch. None of that store bought crap for my meat.

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

VKK--
    Have you ever thought that maybe the person is making enough gravy, and that perhaps you are just overusing the gravy?

*Did I just blaspheme?

20. VKK3450

VKK--
    Have you ever thought that maybe the person is making enough gravy, and that perhaps you are just overusing the gravy?

*Did I just blaspheme?

There is no such thing as overusing gravy. Its like saying "ohh, you drank too much water" or "ohh, you breathed too much air".

What the fuck is this school teaching you kwilk? You need to be studying Gravy Planning 101 instead of MSNing with Conne and Go

K