1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pearl Onions

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FLMountainMan, Mar 28, 2008.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I have started tossing these in whenever I saute anything. I absolutely love the taste they add and they are really good to eat once cooked. These things are a godsend.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

They are great, but if you really want to pull the flavor out of them you need to blanche and peel them before you saute.

3. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

They are great, but if you really want to pull the flavor out of them you need to blanche and peel them before you saute.

It's heresy, but I buy the frozen ones already peeled. I use them for boeuf bourguignon and they are a huge time saver on a lengthy-to-prepare dish.

4. horton

horton Well-Known Member

when you boil them add some vinegar

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Use Cippolini. Prepare to lose your mind.

6. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Peel them. Saute in a pan with a small amount of olive oil until they get some color. Put them in a baking dish with 1/2 cup of chicken broth, salt & pepper and bake until they carmelize. Takes up to an hour.

Easy way to peel them is to drop in boiling water for a minute and then squeeze them out of the skin.

Awesome side dish.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Peel them. Saute in a pan with a small amount of olive oil until they get some color. Put them in a baking dish with 1/2 cup of chicken broth, salt & pepper and bake until they carmelize. Takes up to an hour.

Easy way to peel them is to drop in boiling water for a minute and then squeeze them out of the skin.

Awesome side dish.

Yes, but don't let matt find out you're taking shortcuts. [​IMG]

Pearl onions were actually the first onions I learned to like. I didn't like onions as a kid.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Yes, but don't let matt find out you're taking shortcuts. [​IMG]

Pearl onions were actually the first onions I learned to like. I didn't like onions as a kid.

You are supposed to peel pearl onions that way, not shallots. Dildo. That said, I do it by hand, raw. I generally add a pinch of sugar as well.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

You are supposed to peel pearl onions that way, not shallots. Dildo. That said, I do it by hand, raw.

I generally add a pinch of sugar as well.

I'm much better with shallots now. [​IMG] I was not using proper technique.

10. Souper

Souper Well-Known Member

Use Cippolini. Prepare to lose your mind.

+1