1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Peal & Co. made in Italy??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thinman, Feb 18, 2005.

1. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I saw a pair of shoes yesterday labeled "Brooks Brothers Peal & Co.", made in Italy. I thought from reading posts here and on AskAndy that Peal & Co. were made by Crockett & Jones or Alfred Sargent, both English companies. I'd appreciate any information about who might make the Peal & Co. shoes made in Italy, if such beasts exist, and also some comment about the construction.

Also, all other algonquins I've seen have been split toe. Is the split toe not a characteristic of algonquins? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. curt222

curt222 Active Member

I don't have the answer but "deja vu" I had a very similar thought this morning. I am wearing a pair of Brooks Brothers (not Peal) Penny Loafers that are made in Italy. Does anyone know who makes these for Brooks?

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

I thought the split toe was what made the shoe an algonquin. Hmm. I'd like to know the answer to this too.

Dan

4. thinman

Brooks salesmen confirm: The "new" Italian owner of Brooks Brothers introduced Italian-made shoes, a failed experiment that is now being discontinued. But none of the salesmen at 2 different stores knew who makes (made?) the Italian-made, Peal & Co. shoes for Brooks Brothers. Nor did I get a good look at a pair, so I still don't know about construction. Anyone?

5. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Dunno, but I just bit on my first brown "reverse calf" oxfords from there. Had been trying on RTW at various emporia in midtown-- Edward Green the best-made, most expensive, and a little tight across the toe, Paul Stuart (are those Grenson's) OK in construction but very skinny--- had to move up a half size to make them work, and finally Brooks which were of perfectly good quality, and the cheapest of the three by a long shot.

6. thinman

Concordia, how are your Brooks Italian-made shoes constructed? Can you tell if they're Goodyear welted?

My understanding is that the "Stuart's Choice" line are the Grenson Masterpiece line.