1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Peaked Lapel for an Interview Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lilmann40, May 4, 2011.

1. Mr. Sartorial

Mr. Sartorial Well-Known Member

I feel that threads like these are the whole point of Manton's CBD thread. Learn it, live it, love it.

2. Yet123

Yet123 Active Member

NO one, even at a conservative bank, will give a shit.

/thread

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

In all likelihood they won't even notice.

But why take the risk?

4. GBer

GBer Well-Known Member

When you say:

most likely in mortgages and not i-banking.

Are you talking about as a loan officer at your local bank? Investing in CMBS? Underwriting? Selling CMBS? Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac? MortgageIT/ Deutsche Bank? Countrywide/ BofA? What is level you are looking for? Entry-level or senior? Each is different in culture and style.

Depends on if it's a client-facing job and who your client is (Joe Public or a financial institution). Key with the interviews are to keep it simple and dress to their expectations. Some interviewers expect a certain stereotype for the position they are hiring. If you don't fit it... well they ask questions... Best not to draw unwanted attention to something not core to the job (i.e. your dress).

5. Tibor

Tibor Well-Known Member

This. No one will notice. Hell, last interview series I had I wore all DB's- got the job.

You are so cool! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how you carry yourself. If you want to play safe then I guess be as conservative as you can but as others have said, if you dress smartly, no one will probably notice. I went for an interview last month for an overdue promotion, and wore a FU POW DB suit, contrast collar and a knit tie. For my last set of professional exams several years back, I wore my cheapest grey suit bought from my pre-SF days.

7. IBJanky

IBJanky Well-Known Member

NO one, even at a conservative bank, will give a shit.

/thread

This.

Who gives a shit whether your lapels are peak or notch?

myke

8. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

This place has these types of threads over and over and over and over again
    There probably will be no negative impact due to your clothing unless it's just outrageous but like some have said, why not just dress as low key as possible, look nice and go completely conservative. There is NO WAY that this type of dress can hurt you and it could (though probably won't) help. So just go white shirt navy or gray suit, black captoes and conservative tie. No jewelry, I personally would avoid cuff links and pocket squares too.

9. rossyl

rossyl Well-Known Member

Just make sure you feel happy and comfortable, you shouldn't be thinking about fashion in a job interview and they wont give you a job just because you dressed well (unless it's a job in fashion!)

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Truth: Most people will not notice your lapels, per se, but some might notice that you look different or somehow more trendy without realizing why. IF your interviewer can be negatively swayed by that, then that could be bad.

Why take the risk?

exactly right.

you want to look like a neater version of everybody else. you don't want them to remember you as the guy in the "fancy looking suit" or what ever.

11. GBer

GBer Well-Known Member

Just make sure you feel happy and comfortable, you shouldn't be thinking about fashion in a job interview and they wont give you a job just because you dressed well (unless it's a job in fashion!)

Not quite. You forgot about:

UBS dress-guide for their Swiss employees

Client facing jobs are quite different especially in banking.

12. GBer

GBer Well-Known Member

This. No one will notice. Hell, last interview series I had I wore all DB's- got the job.

Was it for a banking job? Or something conservative? Small or large company? In NYC? How long ago was your last interview? Keep the context in mind.

I have a suit with a subtle peak

OP, it would help if you posted a pic of your lapel. Some are subtle, while others are not. Let the forum be your judge.

13. Flartchy

Flartchy Well-Known Member

If some guy in a black suit 2 sizes too big can land a position (very common)

heh, I'm a federal lawyer and recently had a meeting with one of the head US Trustees for my district, and she (a rather masculine looking woman) had a black suit that was HUGE on her, I mean the sleeves went down to her knuckles, the shoulders were way too wide, and the length was comical. But, despite all that she held (and indeed currently holds) a position of great power and responsibility.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

heh, I'm a federal lawyer and recently had a meeting with one of the head US Trustees for my district, and she (a rather masculine looking woman) had a black suit that was HUGE on her, I mean the sleeves went down to her knuckles, the shoulders were way too wide, and the length was comical. But, despite all that she held (and indeed currently holds) a position of great power and responsibility.

That's because if anybody stopped her from being promoted for dressing poorly they would be sued for descrimination. You should know this! [​IMG]

15. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Well-Known Member

That's because if anybody stopped her from being promoted for dressing poorly they would be sued for descrimination. You should know this! [​IMG]

Discrimination would be hard to prove; you should know that. What's her protected class? "Those who are fashionably challenged?"

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

17. francisxslaughtery

francisxslaughtery Member

Dayum. I'd definitely like to strip her of some duties.

18. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Dayum. I'd definitely like to strip her of some duties.

Dayum. I'd definitely like to __________________ that booty.

Fill in the rest...

19. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member