1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Peak Lapels and Business

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suits123, Dec 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. suits123

suits123 Active Member

Curious as to what your thought are about Peak Lapel suits and business.

Does it depend entirely on your job?
    Does it not matter?
    What about to job interviews?
    What width is best?

Searched a lot for answers and didn't find anything. Maybe this forum will help! :)

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. I wear both peaks and notches. Most of my suits have lapels that are between 2" and 2.5".

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

no one in my office ever wears peak lapels

4. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

Maybe nobody has any fashion sense. All crappy suits will be notch because they are cheaper to make

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Err, you sure?

6. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

It depends on your workplace. In conservative business settings you will not see single breasted peak lapels. That is not to say they are inappropriate for any setting but they are uncommon and uncommon things don't play we'll everywhere.

@sns23 - don't agree with your statement at all. I'm sure if you look you will find crappy suits with peak lapels; they are not a defining feature of a quality suit alone.

7. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I don't think mere mortals will notice the alleged formality of peaked lapel. Wear it if it looks good.
    I will be surprised if anyone raise an eyebrow for that reason.

p.s. the above doesn't apply to SF interviewer, they basically don't want anyone look better than them, so tough luck if you have an interview with them, or work under them.

1 person likes this.
  8. suits123

suits123 Active Member

Peak lapels aren't necessarily more expensive. But proper peaks, ones that do not require braces to hold them down are harder to make.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I work in a fairly conservative environment and can think of a few colleagues who were single-breasted peak lapel suits and jackets.

10. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

What?
    [​IMG]

11. etkl

etkl Well-Known Member

I've been a trial lawyer in NJ in a variety of office settings for over 30 years. I occasionally wear SB peak lapel and DB suits and have never drawn a negative comment or adverse reaction.