1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Peacoat fit advice

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by TwillPoplin, Sep 28, 2016.

1. TwillPoplin

TwillPoplin Well-Known Member

Hi!

Today I received a peacoat in two sizes, which one fits me best in your opinion?
    Right one is one size bigger. As you can see I'm wearing a shirt and a thin wool crew neck beneath. I don't intend to wear anything bulkier beneath.
    I think sleeve length is better in the smaller fit otherwise they seem and feel pretty similar in my opinion.

Also what are the common buttoning rules? I button both top buttons and the middle one and leave the bottom unbuttoned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EzraPaul

EzraPaul Well-Known Member

I vote for the smaller one based on the pictures from the back.

3. TwillPoplin

Alright. I think it's a keeper unless someone can point out anything fundamentally wrong with it (I heard tailor costs on coats can be pricey). I will return the bigger sized one on monday unless someone can convince me not to :)

4. Wayward

Wayward Well-Known Member

Here's the contrary view:

The shoulders on the smaller size don't fit you. It's creating divots on the sleeves. Furthermore, the waist looks a bit too tight. Because they're new I think you've still got a basting stitch keeping the vent closed. However, I expect that once you remove it, the back vent on the smaller size will flare out, because you can already see a bit of buckling right now.

This is not to say that the larger size is a perfect fit. It's your call obviously, but sometimes the answer may be neither.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  5. TwillPoplin

Hmm, now I have no clue what to... :/

6. TwillPoplin

Now I'm thinking on keeping the big one but having the sleeves shortened. Does that sound like a good idea?

7. Fashionablemale

Fashionablemale Well-Known Member

I like the bigger one. Also gives you some room to layer during colder weather.

8. TwillPoplin

Yeah I already returned the smaller one. I am happy with the bigger one :)

9. Fashionablemale

Fashionablemale Well-Known Member

Nice choice. Love the peacoat look.