• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to my tailor the other evening to pick up a suit jacket I was having tailored. I asked matter of factly whether they made peacoats which she replied yes and showed me some fabrics (Black and Brown but said she could order Navy or Grey). She added that they cost around $750 to be done. If I had the money I'd do it, man it hurt not being able to have it done my way

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I went to my tailor the other evening to pick up a suit jacket I was having tailored. I asked matter of factly whether they made peacoats which she replied yes and showed me some fabrics (Black and Brown but said she could order Navy or Grey). She added that they cost around $750 to be done. If I had the money I'd do it, man it hurt not being able to have it done my way
We were discussing in an older peacoat thread the level of workmanship that is evident in the old military coats, and how much a similar one would cost to make in today's dollars. That figure doesn't surprise me at all, really.

Has anyone tried someone like Ravi or one of the other Asian tailors for a coat? Maybe one of them could do it. I don't know if they will have 32oz. wool on hand in Hong Kong, though...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hong Kong maybe - it gets cold there. Bangkok for Ravi or my neck of the woods - unlikely. I guess costwise would be similar to a suit, so Dung would do it for about $60 plus cloth. eBay Howard has cloth of that weight IIRC, 2 meters or thereabouts probly run you $50 shipped.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metal Circus
French.jpg
Slim-jeans.jpg
Peacoat-1.jpg

Photo credit: The Sartorialist (duh)
A non-trivial part of my decision to go to Chicago for school next year is the abundance of peacoat-wearing opportunities.

I am afraid you are going to need something even warmer than a pea coat if you are going to be living in Chicago. When I was in Chicago in February, the pea coat did not get the job done.

desertfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexpham
double breasted coat.

I just think it's so much smarter looking than a peacoat. You can't go wrong with either but I think the extra length of the double breasted gives it a tad more elegance and refinement, but that's just me.

courtesy of Satoralist:
Sweatershoulder-1.jpg

Coat-Frame1.jpg

I really like the coat that the guy is wearing. Anyone know who makes it and where I could get one just like it??

modual

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Alpha Industries pea coats. I'm looking for a grey one and came across this

alpha_mens_pea_coats_011.jpg

xerxes1358

Reaction score
Can you also post the link of the store where you can buy this (the cheapest) ?

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
HeyBrian SD,
Just got my peacoat from sterlingwear size 34. Fits great! Except the shoulders are a bit boxy. Does yours fit this way? I was thinking that I could remove some material from the shoulder to give it a more relaxed look on the shoulder.

moykky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by digital_denim
HeyBrian SD,
Just got my peacoat from sterlingwear size 34. Fits great! Except the shoulders are a bit boxy. Does yours fit this way? I was thinking that I could remove some material from the shoulder to give it a more relaxed look on the shoulder.

My schottnyc peacoat had the same boxy shoulders, but after one winter it has molded on me pretty nicely. The heavy wool takes it's time to "break in", at first it felt like a straitjacket...

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moykky
My schottnyc peacoat had the same boxy shoulders, but after one winter it has molded on me pretty nicely. The heavy wool takes it's time to "break in", at first it felt like a straitjacket...

Good to know, i felt like I was in the 80's again with the big shoulders.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Fidelity as a peacoat maker? I would get the sterlingwear but they seem not to come in Navy as opposed to black or grey.

Also how much heavier is 32oz coat compared to a 22 oz?
http://vtarmynavy.com/wool-pea-coats.htm

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Never heard of Fidelity specifically, but I wouldn't get one made of recycled wool. 32oz is quite heavy, about as heavy as you will find in a coat, but it's authentic to the vintage type. If you have real winter, you'll like it.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bought a 100$ h&m one, cool looking coat. but i cut the other side of the buttons off, they drive me crazy about peacoats

DSCN1212.jpg

today.jpg

might get it tailored in the body too, not really sure yet. is that a hrad process? do they rip out the lining>

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I kind of like that idea. Why not the top one?

To tailor the body, for most coats they can just open up the hem and turn it inside out. It's not too big a deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads