1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by drake, Jun 26, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

For CA, I'm voting DB in moleskin.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

they guy on the far right looks real good. I dunno if it's the light but his buttons appear to be bronze/brass colored, which looks badical. If I got a peacoat custom made I'd want to go away from the typical black buttons, and obviously choose a different fabric. The moleskin idea was good.

3. Ott

Ott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    holy shit I want this coat anyone know where I can find something similar?

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

If you do go DB, make the buttons parallel rather than trapezoidal (like the one you posted), otherwise I think it'd be rubbish with jeans.

5. drake

drake Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll go with some form of a peacoat.

6. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

holy shit I want this coat anyone know where I can find something similar?
    Costume National makes similar peacoats.

!luc

7. DrBot

DrBot Member

Costume National makes similar peacoats.

!luc

Guess they will go with your boots, Ott.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I really like Sterlingwear Peacoats. I have one (sized down) and it fits very well. Looks a lot like j's.

Where did you order it from (probably sterlingwear website)?
    How much did it cost?
    What size did you pick?
    What model did you pick?
    What can you fit underneath/what's the fit? (feel free to post pics [​IMG] )

I'll probably order a peacoat in the next week/2 weeks (wanted a new coat for next winter, what better time to take care of that than in the middle of summer...) so if anybody has other suggestions (brand, auctions, your dead uncle who was a size 36 ship captain, etc), feel free to contribute.

I seem to remember a thread about Brian's peacoat and I thought about getting one at the time but with the crash and everything....

9. denning

denning Well-Known Member

J, is that peacoat you're wearing a mil issue?

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

I really like Sterlingwear Peacoats. I have one (sized down) and it fits very well. Looks a lot like j's.

Sterlingwear, to the best of my knowledge, makes the real US Navy coats. I went and bout a mil surplus coat only to find out I could have purchased direct from Sterlinwear the same coat, new, for less money.

11. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

Can you actually wear a navy peacoat with jeans? Won't it look to, for the lack of a good term, blue? If anyone has any ideas to pull this off please post pics.
    the navy blue is basicly black. its blacker than some black things i have. looks perfectly fine. how much does a navy pea coat cost? i have the luxuary of living in a navy town so the thrift stores are loaded with them for 5$

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Yep.
    I guess $140.
    34.. normally I wear a 36
    The Authentic
    Usually a sweater or a shirt and tie or something. Here's a pic with a hoodie underneath: [​IMG]
    Yea I remember that thread. I mentioned it because it quickly became one of my favorite coats. As soon as my girlfriend saw me in it she was on her knees, saying I looked so good. I had the collar popped (take notes all). I'm probably going to order a navy or black one for the next winter in size 32. It's definitely a really nice fit.. structured and just a little tapered. I like the way the 34 fits a lot. I wouldn't mind having a super-tight peacoat as well, however. Oh last thing to add: it definitely doesn't feel designer-y, but that's cool with me. I would really like to change the buttons, however. I HATE the Sterlingwear buttons (non-traditional buttons, they are black plastic and have the logo engraved on them). I really like light-horn buttons.. will probably get them put on the grey one, and go with standard black buttons for the navy one.

13. j

j Well-Known Member

J, is that peacoat you're wearing a mil issue?
    Yes, from the 1950s or so.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Yep.

I guess $140.

34.. normally I wear a 36

The Authentic

Usually a sweater or a shirt and tie or something. Here's a pic with a hoodie underneath:

[​IMG]

Yea I remember that thread. I mentioned it because it quickly became one of my favorite coats. As soon as my girlfriend saw me in it she was on her knees, saying I looked so good. I had the collar popped (take notes all).

I'm probably going to order a navy or black one for the next winter in size 32. It's definitely a really nice fit.. structured and just a little tapered. I like the way the 34 fits a lot. I wouldn't mind having a super-tight peacoat as well, however.

Oh last thing to add: it definitely doesn't feel designer-y, but that's cool with me. I would really like to change the buttons, however. I HATE the Sterlingwear buttons (non-traditional buttons, they are black plastic and have the logo engraved on them). I really like light-horn buttons.. will probably get them put on the grey one, and go with standard black buttons for the navy one.

On the website they advise ordering one size larger (i.e. a size 36 like you and me should order a size 38, but if I understand you correctly you went for a 34 and might go for a 32? Am I getting this right?

I'm assuming you went for a "normal" lenght which means I should go for the "short" to get right lenght.

BTW Nice look, that's pretty much what I'm looking for.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Yea. Don't listen to their advice. Size down one for a slim fit, two for a super tight fit. I went for normal length... the sleeves on "short" are just not enough, as much as I wouldn't mind a shorter fit (not that there's anything wrong with normal).

16. pdavie0

pdavie0 Active Member

How much did it cost?
    What size did you pick?
    What model did you pick?
    What can you fit underneath/what's the fit? (feel free to post pics [​IMG] )

I'll probably order a peacoat in the next week/2 weeks (wanted a new coat for next winter, what better time to take care of that than in the middle of summer...) so if anybody has other suggestions (brand, auctions, your dead uncle who was a size 36 ship captain, etc), feel free to contribute.

I seem to remember a thread about Brian's peacoat and I thought about getting one at the time but with the crash and everything....

Fuuma, I got a Sterling peacoat last winter and am thinking of letting it go since I rarely wore it. I only wore it a few times for new year in Vegas. Other than that, I never wore it here in Orange county. It's a sz 36 and has been also tailored in the waist for a more tapered waist. The job costs me 35 bucks. If you're interested, PM me your offer.
    Cheers
    --Dave

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Fuuma, I got a Sterling peacoat last winter and am thinking of letting it go since I rarely wore it. I only wore it a few times for new year in Vegas. Other than that, I never wore it here in Orange county. It's a sz 36 and has been also tailored in the waist for a more tapered waist. The job costs me 35 bucks. If you're interested, PM me your offer.
    Cheers
    --Dave

I might have been interested but it seems a size 34S will give me a better fit...and for only $150 I doubt I should go for a better deal that doesn't satisfy me 100%, thanks for asking though. If I were you I'd post the offer in the buying/selling section...

18. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

how much does a navy pea coat cost? i have the luxuary of living in a navy town so the thrift stores are loaded with them for 5$
    ....and that dude is how a decent little SF side business will start for you when the seasons change [​IMG]

19. j

j Well-Known Member

....and that dude is how a decent little SF side business will start for you when the seasons change [​IMG]
    No kidding. Here they are from $40 to $80 on up depending on condition. I guess that's because our naval base was decommissioned a while back. Maybe I should make a run up to Bellingham and pick up a bunch - I have a feeling there will be piles there for cheap. Hmm...

20. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

Brian, I take it you got the Authentic model?