1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Paul Stuart Sales

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I practically live at the BG shoe dept and I never saw a Vass that even remotely resembled that shoe. The only $599 Vass of the last few months were the monk, calf captoe, a horrible boot and a suede/calf captoe.

I bought that Vass (Old English II - Leather / Suede Combo) over Christmas [​IMG]

2. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

I bought a black punched captoe oxford (Stuart's Choice, $250), a double-breasted gray pinstriped suit (Samuelson's, $450), and a necktie for $15. I recognized a lot of the merchandise (especially knitwear and accessories) from the in-store sale.

3. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

well, I thought the sale sucked as of 1:30pm or so. Wasn't looking to buy for myself but the shoes in 10 and 10.5 were not good. There was a weird round toe wholecut type shoe with funky stitching around the laces and a two eyelet derby with a chiseled toe which was OK. Neither was worth $250 and I'd only wear the suede and the quality of the suede left me wanting. Ties were garbage, any sportcoat that was even worth trying on started at $400, and those were Samuelsohn and the trousers were OK but $115 for wool Samuelsohn made trousers isn;t exacty a great deal. Picked up the last two remaining pairs of grenson full shoe trees (if anyone has two left feet, there are quite a few left shoe trees left[​IMG] ) and those will probably be too small for my 10-10.5 shoes as they seem to be 9-9.5 so if they don't fit for me, drop me a line and I'll send them to anyone for $22 (they cost $16 and will probably cost 4-5 to ship).

4. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful forum. Over the period of several days, I can experience the trill of anticipation and the let down of discovery without ever venturing away from the computer.

5. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful forum. Over the period of several days, I can experience the trill of anticipation and the let down of discovery without ever venturing away from the computer.

I quite happy w/ my purchases.

6. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

I quite happy w/ my purchases.

Great. I was responding to the overall tenor, which seems to be disappointment based on the build up. However, I am delighted that several folk were able to score.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

I think this was one of those sales that required arriving early, and grabbing the good stuff within the first hour of the sale. I saw the usual forum members--Chorse, Philovance, Stockwellday, Poorsod, and Mack prowling through the shoes in the first hour (I didnt see Billiebob or some of the other guys who remain anonymous). I believe most of the smaller jackets were picked clean by SF members; most of my damage was done in the odd sportcoat department. I was also happy to completely revamp my shoe tree stock, and the black shell cordovan oxfords were simply too tasty to pass at less than $300.

I'm sure Ill just have to sell something on Ebay to recoup the costs.

8. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Ditto. It's a PhD dissertation just waiting to be written.

9. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

No, at least not as far as I saw. They had the half calf half suede version that Bennies had a while back. A plain toe, with a stitching that recalled (I think) the Stowe in the old Masterpiece line.
    [​IMG]
    They were pretty sweet. I can't recall if the suede covered the whole heel.

Here is an out-of-focus picture of the suede/calfskin Stowes from Bennies. They are my favorite dress shoes, but I must admit that I don't like the added broguing on the model shown on the PS website:

[​IMG]

I _am_ intensely jealous of you guys who live in NYC and can take advantage of these outrageous sale prices!!

10. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

I think this was one of those sales that required arriving early, and grabbing the good stuff within the first hour of the sale. I saw the usual forum members--Chorse, Philovance, Stockwellday, Poorsod, and Mack prowling through the shoes in the first hour (I didnt see Billiebob or some of the other guys who remain anonymous). I believe most of the smaller jackets were picked clean by SF members; most of my damage was done in the odd sportcoat department. I was also happy to completely revamp my shoe tree stock, and the black shell cordovan oxfords were simply too tasty to pass at less than $300.

Yes, I agree. It was worth arriving at 8:00 am. I won't even ask when you guys showed up [​IMG]

One benefit of the early arrival is finding shoe trees in my size. The trees above size 9 have a metal plate on one foot that says Stuart's Choice. The plate on the other foot has the Grenson logo.

I might go back for a straw boater and a tux. You know, the essentials [​IMG]

11. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Hello to you too!

There were some nice SC shoes but, alas, I'm just not that formal anymore, and already had a pair of suede oxfords...not quite as elegant, but couldn't justify the upgrade.

Got some shoe trees in size 41 and 42, also a few pair of ridiculous striped socks for 7.50/pair.

My favorite item was a size 38 tweed coat with matching lapelled vest, both in purple. Tried on the coat; looked like an ice cream cone.

Left without it.

12. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Pickings were slim by noon. Some nice jackets, but the prices seemed too high for what you were getting.

Grabbed a pair of dark brown Selwyn's in 10D, but now that I'm home I realized I need a 1/2 size larger. Guess I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that my feet have grown.

I'll post them on the B&S board later this week if anyone's interested.

lefty

13. JordanB

JordanB Well-Known Member

Did you notice much in 10.5?

14. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

I got two pairs of shell cordovan stuarts choice. The first is a burgundy plaintoe blucher that will send the Aldens to the back of the closet for a little while. The second is a black captoe oxford with a single sole, and very sleek for shell. These were marked 850 and 900 retail, but I don't recall these prices from the last couple of seasons at Paul Stuart. I'll post a pic on the shoe thread when I get a chance.

If anyone had any interest in black croc penny loafers and brown croc bit loafers, there were several pairs around for 250. Black and brown in 11, etc. There were a fair amount of 11 and 11.5 brown brogues and loafers in narrow widths like C and B. Several pairs of shell cordovan penny loafers as well in 10.5,11, and 11.5

The suit selection was thin in 41 and 42.

help! help!

I'll pay someone to get me a pair of the croc (real croc only) loafers in size 11.5D?

15. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Probably about the same number as the 10s. Say about 10 - 15 pairs of Stuart's Choice plus assorted adds and ends. Whether they have more in the back I can't say.

lefty

16. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

to clarify, the black croc penny I saw was indeed a size 11.5 US, retailed for $1300. It looked like a D-width, but I didn't check to verify this. They were made in Italy.

17. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

to clarify, the black croc penny I saw was indeed a size 11.5 US, retailed for $1300. It looked like a D-width, but I didn't check to verify this. They were made in Italy.

Can someone get this pair for me?

Thanks,

18. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Can someone get this pair for me?

Thanks,

Not dissing anyone's taste, but I saw that loafer and I thought it looked like shite and you couldn't pay me enough to wear it. If someone goes for you, ask them to phone you a pic.

19. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of pics of the cordovans I got at the sale yesterday.
    [​IMG]

The burgundy shells have some interesting coloration. It looks as if they were polished first with burgundy, then with black around the seams and hardware. The shoes change color in different light, so it hardly comes through in the pics.
    [​IMG]

Here's a closeup of the coloration
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Well-Known Member

Ahh, those are gorgeous (both of them).