1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Patent leather...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WJTW, Nov 2, 2004.

1. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

A bit silly, perhaps, but: Is patent leather real leather?

How does one know if the leather is real or not?

Thanks,
    WJTW

2. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

There was a series of posts on this topic either on Ask Andy or here.

I always thought it was one of three things (though I don't know that anyone came down with authority on the original type of so-called patent leather).

1) cheap plastic

2) leather with an artifical (i.e. plastic) finish

3) Leather that had been treated with polishes and potions and whatnot, in order to achieve the desired gleam.

There was an interesting debate on one of the forums on which was more correct, patent leather or highly-polished black calf. For patent leather apparently came later than black calf.

Though I do wonder if there is a way to achieve the sheen of patent leather that is no longer used.

Linseed oil someone mentioned.

Hope these babblings are helpful.

Hey ho,

H.

3. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Yes to choice #2 (it used to be #3). Odd fact, patent leather was invented in Newark NJ in the 1820's. It has its own historical sign. [​IMG]

4. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

So... how does one tell if it is 'cheap plastic' or leather with a glossy/shiny finish? The price is one way... any other way(s)? If I get to buy one, which would probably be months later, I would like to make sure what I am buying isn't some cheap plastic fake, especially if it is priced at ridiculously high amounts.

Thanks,
    WJTW