1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Paleo diet

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Don Carlos, May 23, 2011.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

A diet sans alcohol is not a life worth living. Might as well just kill yourself now.

1 person likes this.
  2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

A diet sans alcohol is not a life worth living. Might as well just kill yourself now.
    I think alcohol qualifies as paleo. At least it does in my interpretation of the term, which is somewhat generous.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Beer and wine have been around for thousands of years. You're safe.

Cave mens be getting drunk

4. SField

SField Well-Known Member

God... only fucking Americans need "diets."

5. Don Carlos

God... only fucking Americans need "diets."

Fuck off, you lardbellied billygoat.

6. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

i was reading about raw food paleo diets where the adherants didnt even eat fruit because it had been selectively bred by humans and was no longer what our ancestors ate. one guy posting there ate nothing but 1kg of raw beef every day[​IMG]

i ate paleo for a long time because it made sense to me from a nutrients vs calories point of view. im an easy gainer so i need to watch what i eat carefully.

i also enjoyed eating things like smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and avacado for breakfast instead of muesli.

i now eat some grains ... still avoid sugar and processed foods (that i havent processed myself)

7. Mr Herbert

oh yeh i also eat dairy and eat whey because even though its processed, you cant really go past a breakfast of pure whey powder and water before a morning cycle commute

8. Don Carlos

i was reading about raw food paleo diets where the adherants didnt even eat fruit because it had been selectively bred by humans and was no longer what our ancestors ate. one guy posting there ate nothing but 1kg of raw beef every day[​IMG]

i ate paleo for a long time because it made sense to me from a nutrients vs calories point of view. im an easy gainer so i need to watch what i eat carefully.

i also enjoyed eating things like smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and avacado for breakfast instead of muesli.

i now eat some grains ... still avoid sugar and processed foods (that i havent processed myself)

What is your advice on how to eat a primarily paleo (or at least paleoesque) diet in public? Did you have to prepare and carry around your own food, or did you pretty much just subsist on salads and such when eating out?

9. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

It's not about fatness vs. non-fatness. It's about total body health, organs, systems, endocrine function, and so forth. We know for a fact that modern, processed food is endocrine disruptive and fucks the body up. Furthermore, we know from modern evidence that societies heavier in artificial and processed ingredients (America, for example) are less healthy than societies with fewer artificial foods (Mediterranean societies, the French, the Japanese, etc., even if these cultures eat just as much fat or carbs as we do).
    Uh, srsly? Have you ever been to the places you're describing?

10. Don Carlos

Uh, srsly? Have you ever been to the places you're describing?

Oh, it's you. Fuck off, you stupid butterbellied cowpie.

11. holymadness

Don't let reality get in the way of your impending nutrient deficiency.

BTW you were right, in France they only eat bread made from flour hand-milled by peasants alongside the Marne. The massive levels of mercury in the organs of Japanese dolphin- and tuna-eaters is also reported to give them superhuman strength (when boosted by regular intervals of nuclear radiation).

12. Mr Herbert

What is your advice on how to eat a primarily paleo (or at least paleoesque) diet in public? Did you have to prepare and carry around your own food, or did you pretty much just subsist on salads and such when eating out?

there would almost always be an option on resturant menus which fit the bill - either salads or steak with vegetables etc. asian resturants are the hardest (except for japanese as you can order sushimi) but not impossible.

breakfast on workdays was the hardest and i often skipped it, or ate jerky, nuts and dried fruit combos. on weekends i loved cooking paleo breakfasts - omlettes etc.

lunch at work is a salad every day - there is a place near by where you can select your ingredients - eggs, avacado, salads, olive oil etc

dinner is easy - grilled meat and vegetables, stews, salads.. i enjoyed the challenge of finding paleo recipes in normal cookbooks.

i wasnt obsessive about it - i dont buy into alot of the theory, like i say i was just trying to maximise nutrients per calorie, and avoid processed food as i do beleive processed foods are the cause of most dietry problems today.

if i wasnt worried about calories (i.e. not ane easy gainer who puts on weight just smelling a pie) i would probably eat more along Weston Price advice - actually, i pretty much do that now albeit with limited grain intake.

i also love to cook so cooked non paleo stuff often (potatos etc)

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Isn't powdered dashi like the most popular food in Japan? Is it paleo?

14. Mr Herbert

Don't let reality get in the way of your impending nutrient deficiency.

BTW you were right, in France they only eat bread made from flour hand-milled by peasants alongside the Marne. The massive levels of mercury in the organs of Japanese dolphin- and tuna-eaters is also reported to give them superhuman strength (when boosted by regular intervals of nuclear radiation).

replacing grains and sugar with fruit and vegatables will give him more nutrients.

im not sure what your point about frances bread is but i will make one observation about france - their bread is awesome. when something is awesome you dont need to eat as much of it. after spending time in the loire valley i was deeply depressed about every slice of supermarket bread i had ever eaten in my life prior to that point. same amount of calories, more chemicals, much less joy [​IMG]

15. Don Carlos

ITT: Fat jealous slippery bellied buddha-lards try to steal my swagger.

16. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

My brother does cross-fit and olympic weight training.. he did the paleo diet for 3 months.. he felt better on it.. but went back to a balanced diet that included 'regular' food..

17. Don Carlos

replacing grains and sugar with fruit and vegatables will give him more nutrients.

im not sure what your point about frances bread is but i will make one observation about france - their bread is awesome. when something is awesome you dont need to eat as much of it. after spending time in the loire valley i was deeply depressed about every slice of supermarket bread i had ever eaten in my life prior to that point. same amount of calories, more chemicals, much less joy [​IMG]

+100

18. holymadness

I ate about ten times as much bread when I lived in France than I ever did in North America. I don't know what warped philosophy leads you to believe that when something is good, you avoid it, but I pity you.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I just realized that I havent eaten a croissant since I ate them daily during a trip to Normandy I received for my 21st birthday.

20. Mr Herbert

I ate about ten times as much bread when I lived in France than I ever did in North America. I don't know what warped philosophy leads you to believe that when something is good, you avoid it, but I pity you.

i find that i am more satisfied by a small amount of good quality food. in the absence of quality i think people tend to substite with quantity. ymmv.