1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Package from Italy...almost 30 days and no updates. Is it lost?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spidercan, Dec 28, 2012.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

probably stuck in US customs

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I just called to see what the wait might be in US Customs. The lady said "7-10 days". I said "But I had the package sent expedited. It's supposed to take no more than 4 days!" Apparently, it's 4 days, not including time spent in customs. That was from Canada, another NAFTA country. I got a package, ordered the same day, (the 28th of December,) yesterday. Fedex has never taken more than 3-4 days to get here from Europe, and that's the economy option. The fast options? I've gotten packages in 2 days, and I live in the middle of nowhere. Moral of the story is that a service like UPS or Fedex is completely worth it. You might pay 30 Euros additional, but you never get more than you pay for (though sadly, the converse is not always true.)

3. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

^Unfortunately they aren't only 30 Euro more.

As I have writed some post ago Fedex, UPS etc. prices are proibitive here without a contract subscription.

These are the prices calculated for the same shipment, and they don't need any comments :embar:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. spidercan

spidercan Well-Known Member

The one and only update on USPS was as follows

EE301883155IT
    Express Mail International[​IMG]
    Processed Through Sort Facility
    December 12, 2012, 8:07 am
    MALPENSA APT/MILANO, ITALY
    Proof of Delivery
    Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
    Acceptance
    December 12, 2012, 8:07 am
    ITALY

Unfortunately since this a proxy there's not much I can do in terms of getting a refund

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I am very happy to inform you that after almost a month since parcel has left Italy, it was finally processed in USA:

Inbound Into Customs
    Processed Through Sort Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    January 08, 2013, 9:03 pm

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

That's good news. I knew it would show up. It's a frustration - but I hope that the items you received will make it worth while!

7. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

Yes, really good news, now I hope that USPS would not take another month to release the parcel from Custom.

8. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Great news!!! Hope you get it soon!

9. spidercan

spidercan Well-Known Member

This is awesome. I want to thank Alexsf for tirelessly working with the post office to get my package out of italy, and to Sam Hober for going out of his way to give so much help and advice as well as all the other members of styleforum who chipped in with advice and kind words of their own.

Yes, now hopefully it doesn't get stuck in customs for another month

10. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I should have brought the formal complaint form to the post office this afternoon but fortunately this morning tracking was updated, this confirm my idea that parcel was arrived in USA from a long time waiting to be processed.

After having experienced how USPS is slow with parcel from abroad, I will use only registered mail to usa in the future, for sure...

11. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

Actually it is very rare for packages to get stuck in customs (as in one out of thousands) and from the post office message you can't say where the slow up was.

The good news is that you are now eligible (after delivery) to have your postage refunded due to the delay - again standard EMS post office procedure all over the world.

With registered mail there would be no refund and typically much slower delivery times and lower postage costs.

More likely than not you would have had your package two weeks ago if the trace/refund request had been made after 10 days and the package had not showed up. The reason is very simple the post office doesn't like to make refunds so when you ask for a refund they find your package quickly.

12. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I've asked if a trace as suggested can be done and the answer was negative.
    The only way was to send a complaint form asking refund for undelivered items, lost item etc. that would be turned to foreing post that start the search.
    I tought that sending it after only 10 days would have been a bit hasty, so I waited a bit considering that usually usps is pretty slow and christmas backlog.

I've shipped two EMS the same days, one was delivered (not arrived) to Japan 14/12, the other one was processed in USA only today...

By the way I've still refund to the OP all that I could get from Italian Post for delayed items: the difference from the amount of what I paid less the amount of a standard untrackable parcel of same weight.
    And considering isn't their fault it's good.
    Italian mail refund postage only in case of undelivered (that usually came back) and lost or damaged parcel, I don't know if him could get a refund for delay also from USPS post but I hope yes.

Regards

13. driftking

driftking Well-Known Member

Pair of pants FedEx ( $20.00)
    Italy to San Franciso in 5 days!