1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

P Johnson MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Prince of Paisley, Mar 7, 2011.

1. "6"

"6" Well-Known Member

Envy

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

You're in trouble now, Check.

Won't be able to suffer RTW again, which means you'll just have to keep feeding the addiction!

Like me. :D

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Picked up my P Johnson suit and shirts last week. Very happy with them.

Goodbye Off the Rack, hello Made to Measure. (Goodbye finances).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. kickstart

kickstart Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful Guido. Your style is immaculate.

I need to book an appointment with P. Johnson, just waiting for Christmas to get closer so I can justify spending the money on myself!

6. uniesse

uniesse Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do the vents not sit flat on either? It looks like they're popping fairly well open.

Happy to be corrected if this is just a stylistic element, or if it is entirely forgivable.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

PG just keeps coming with better fits, and suits. Inspiring stuff!

8. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

In the absence of a proper POV and (especially) in the context of everything else, you are IMO really missing the forest for the trees.

Take care of the larger details, and the smaller ones will take care of themselves - or better still, not matter... unless you are one of those types that populate the internet who enjoy pointing them out.

9. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

I spotted a chap in West End, Brisbane this morning, carrying a PJ suit bag.

Don't suppose that was anyone here?

10. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I'd like to know from those with P Johnson jackets, particularly their rendition of the spalla camicia, how do you find the shoulders in terms of "feel"?

I've handled two jackets, though I'm yet to order my first, and on both I found the shoulder to "feel" somewhat stiff to touch, but when worn to look very, very soft in its construction.

Any insight would be appreciated.

11. Pink Socks

Wearing mine now. Feels soft to wear and a little stiffer to touch (only a little though) but nowhere near a full, stiff or padded as "traditional/normal" suit shoulders. I love the slimming and flattering soft shape they give. Visiting Tom in South Melbourne on Wednesday to order a few more of their wonderful shirts.

1 person likes this.
  12. thebrownman

13. quar

quar Well-Known Member

I have a soft shouldered jacket. The padding is quite firm. The chest canvas is also not as soft as I would like. They do push the concept of their suiting being "soft", but it isn't really all that soft in my opinion. A bit of structure didn't hurt anyone though. And a MTM business with no fittings would struggle to achieve a good completely unstructured product.

14. Pink Socks

15. "6"

"6" Well-Known Member

IMO Herringbone Osaka jackets are much softer in construction overall. That being said - PJohnson jackets don't look stiff at all to my eye. With the MTO option now available from HB, it will be interesting to have a comparison between HB and PJohnson - jacket wise. I just need to scrounge up enough cash first :)

Then again, PJohnson has so many fabrics to tempt you with.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  16. Pink Socks

17. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the H'bone MTO Program is based on the Scabal block (standard strong shoulder) and not the soft-shouldered Osaka.

This is a MAJOR disappointment for me; someone who has been hoping that one day, I will be able to get an Osaka cut to my dimensions.

Go figure.

18. thebrownman

I too would like an Osaka cut to my dimensions, something quite close to 41/35, but alas I wait in vain..

19. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

Since I've never did get around to getting any pictures of my initial PJohnson commission to put up I thought I'd share this photo from a recent social occasion that at least gives some idea of the result. Hopefully it's obvious that I'm the one on the left :)

Far from ideal poses of course, but for me it was interesting to contrast the PJ to the OTR Hugo Boss + alterations, which didn't look too bad at first glance at the time but when able to be studied at all next to a well made MTM has obvious shortcomings.

And the wine was nice.

[​IMG]

20. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member