• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson MTM

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interested in this - anyone have pictures of the new shoulder styles or fit commentary?
Are the softer canvas styles also softer in feel through the shoulder?

Doubtful, it's all so new that all PJ could do was show me photos on his iPhone taken in the factory where they are made.

I imagine it would take some weeks/months for examples purchased by early adopters or PJ/TR to arrive in AU.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doubtful, it's all so new that all PJ could do was show me photos on his iPhone taken in the factory where they are made.
I imagine it would take some weeks/months for examples purchased by early adopters or PJ/TR to arrive in AU.

Cool, thanks man. Understandably will take time before we see how it looks in real life.

Did you get anything commissioned with wider lapels, the softer shoulders or softer canvas? I'm going to make time to see TR soon to get a winter jacket made up.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cheungish

Reaction score
Cool, thanks man. Understandably will take time before we see how it looks in real life.
Did you get anything commissioned with wider lapels, the softer shoulders or softer canvas? I'm going to make time to see TR soon to get a winter jacket made up.

I think their wider notch Lapels are much better than the original lapels, and the new soft shoulders are really soft with no padding.

Skinny Guinea

Reaction score
Hi folks,
This is my first post to SF. I'm a Sydneysider, and a few months ago had my first MTM suit done by P Johnson Tailors. I was measured and fit by Patrick at the atelier's shop in Paddo.
My opinion is probably not worth much as I consider myself still to be a n00b, but FWIW, I wrote up a post of the experience with a few photos on my Tumblr. If interested, you can find it here.
Please don't take this as a feeble attempt to drive traffic to my lame-arse blog. It's just that some seem to want a bit more info on P Johnson Tailors, and those might find some value in it.
I'm going back in June for another suit, more conservative business dress this time, probably in mid-charcoal worsted, with a bit more "English" to the cut.
Thanks and respect,
SG

kristianml

Reaction score
This is kind of a weird question, but do you think they would take a commission completely based on measurements? The combination of falling in love with Johnson's work, and living in the northern hemisphere isn't exactly the best - at least for a student in his 20's.

hammer07

Reaction score

This is kind of a weird question, but do you think they would take a commission completely based on measurements? The combination of falling in love with Johnson's work, and living in the northern hemisphere isn't exactly the best - at least for a student in his 20's. 

Probably not likely but can't hurt to ask.

Wooglin

Reaction score

I've already floated this question to them with little luck, they are very particular on the fitting process which I absolutely respect. Fortunately they are hoping to expand on a RTW line soon so maybe jackets/trousers will become available online...

kristianml

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Wasn't really hoping for a positive here, but as you say, a RTW line could be on the rise, the opening of an e-commerce really heightened my expectations.

Dwarfer

Reaction score
They are a MTM business, and part of the fitting process include putting a standard size jacket on you and tweak as necessary.

I wonder whether you could just order a standard size 40 or whatever, and Di the alterations at your own cost? That way you are literally just buying off the rack...

charliechan

Reaction score
They are a MTM business, and part of the fitting process include putting a standard size jacket on you and tweak as necessary.
I wonder whether you could just order a standard size 40 or whatever, and Di the alterations at your own cost? That way you are literally just buying off the rack...

Does anyone remember watching that interview with Patrick where he seemed quite against the whole 'standard sizing' of ready to wear in the suiting industry (for his own business anyway) because and I paraphrase, no one fits into standard sizes like 38, since it wasn't made for them. - something like that?

I just hope he doesn't lose focus on what made his business so popular in the first place..

Dwarfer

Reaction score
Does anyone remember watching that interview with Patrick where he seemed quite against the whole 'standard sizing' of ready to wear in the suiting industry (for his own business anyway) because and I paraphrase, no one fits into standard sizes like 38, since it wasn't made for them. - something like that?

I just hope he doesn't lose focus on what made his business so popular in the first place..

Ok I should rephrase - maybe I gave you the wrong idea.

PJ is certainly a MTM business - so they won't create a custom pattern for you. They will fit you with a standard jacket, and alter from there. Once that's done they will record all measurements that were done and from that point on that becomes your 'pattern'.

One of the previous poster was fairly desparate for a PJ suit so I suggested that he might want to contact PJ to buy a 'standard size 40'...but I doubt PJ will sell it exactly for the reasons you posted above

PJ has been selling a bit more of RTW stuff recently but they are mostly accessories - so I wasn't implying that they were looking to become the next Herringbone and sell suits off the rack.

charliechan

Reaction score
Ok I should rephrase - maybe I gave you the wrong idea.

PJ is certainly a MTM business - so they won't create a custom pattern for you. They will fit you with a standard jacket, and alter from there. Once that's done they will record all measurements that were done and from that point on that becomes your 'pattern'.

One of the previous poster was fairly desparate for a PJ suit so I suggested that he might want to contact PJ to buy a 'standard size 40'...but I doubt PJ will sell it exactly for the reasons you posted above

PJ has been selling a bit more of RTW stuff recently but they are mostly accessories - so I wasn't implying that they were looking to become the next Herringbone and sell suits off the rack.

Oh... apologies, I wasn't suggesting that you were trying to suggest something :)
I just thought it was interesting since they have indeed started an online store and was wondering about the future plan for his business.

sochumpy

Reaction score
Hi folks,
This is my first post to SF. I'm a Sydneysider, and a few months ago had my first MTM suit done by P Johnson Tailors. I was measured and fit by Patrick at the atelier's shop in Paddo.
My opinion is probably not worth much as I consider myself still to be a n00b, but FWIW, I wrote up a post of the experience with a few photos on my Tumblr. If interested, you can find it here.
Please don't take this as a feeble attempt to drive traffic to my lame-arse blog. It's just that some seem to want a bit more info on P Johnson Tailors, and those might find some value in it.
I'm going back in June for another suit, more conservative business dress this time, probably in mid-charcoal worsted, with a bit more "English" to the cut.
Thanks and respect,
SG
pull your pants up mate!
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads