1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Over Polishing Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Mar 24, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I was wondering if you can over polish your shoes? I usually polish my shoes once every 2-3 wears but i usually try to polish all my brown shoes at the same time even if i have only worn them once is this a bad practice? Can i over polish my shoes, and every 2-3 wears is that how often the should be polished? (they usually have a few marks and have lost there shine by then so i polish)

2. j

j Well-Known Member

I usually buff them between wearings to restore the shine and give them a real going over every 5 or so wearings, or before something important, whichever comes first. Having only recently added some brown shoes to my arsenal, I don't know yet how they will react, but it seems that most people like the patina they acquire from wearing and polishing a lot.

3. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

I don't think you can over-polish them. Overwax them, yes, but if it's calfskin, I wouldn't worry. Cordovan leather is a different story.

4. drljva

drljva Well-Known Member

What about for new shoes? I seem to recall someone on this board (or perhaps it was AA...) saying that they polish a new shoe 20 (.) times before wearing them for the first time. Was this said in jest, or is there some wisdom in this practice? Thanks.

5. auto90403

auto90403 Well-Known Member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    i don't polish my shoes until they clearly need it. in the meantime, every few weeks, i apply some leather conditioner. it goes on and gets buffed with the excess removed without the shoes requiring a fresh polishing.

6. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Very true about cordovan leather, its very easily to overpolish it. I think you can still over polish calfskin, to a degree. You will notice it in the creases, where you will see a buildup of polish. Not a good look. Antiquing and patina come from polish, but it also comes from general wear. I have a pair of EGs that have acquired a burnish mark on the right heel. Its not from polish, its from rubbing on the carpet of my car when I am driving since I hold my foot in a weird way. Also, my pair of EG Warwick boots, in acorn antique, darken simply by my rubbing hard on the leather with a cloth. No polish needed.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I polish my calf shoes after every wearing. I was taught to do so by my military father. And I have never seen a better polish than on his shoes. In conclusion: over-polishing? there is no such thing.

8. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

you bring up a good point. I meant to say you can APPLY too much polish. I agree with you, and I have the same policy. I shine my shoes after every wear, most of the time. I very thin layer of polish though. It shouldnt be slathered on.

9. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

I would worry a bit, if you wax 2-3 times a week, you should consider stripping the old wax off every once in a while, the shine will begin to fade over time if you do not.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

absolutely. What causes shoes to shine is many many very very thin layers of polish.

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I always polish a new pair of shoes before wearing them. Wax polish increases the shine and provides some protection for the shoes.

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

Too much shoe polishing, is not enough shoe polishing. Just go easy on the colored wax.

13. geosync

geosync Member

Is there a preferred way to remove wax from shell cordovan? Venetian Shoe Cream? Acetone?

14. cosme62

cosme62 Member

lighter fluid or baby shampoo, then re apply thin coats, a dab of water between coats let stand for 2 hours then brush, polish, buff with a nylon stocking over your brush ez as 1 2 3 :)

15. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I dont know if the baby shampoo thing was a joke, but I tried it last night on a pair of very old, very waxy cordovan boots I own, and man did it work wonders. I had nothing to lose, since I hardly wear them anymore. I used a white cloth to apply the shampoo and the white cloth had turned a dark brown by the time I stripped off all the wax. The boots look brand new, it was fairly amazing. Thanks for the tip.

16. alchimiste

alchimiste Well-Known Member

17. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Perhaps baby shampoo is gentler?

WJTW

18. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I dont know why baby shampoo either, but it worked wonders. I was worried it would leave a residue on the shoes, but not at all. They look like glass.

19. geosync

geosync Member

I had a polishing accident on a pair of boots, and had a spot with a weird cloudly film over it that wouldn't come off. I ended up using denatured alcohol to strip it off. Seems to have worked, with no ill effects, at least for now. They may fall apart in a few weeks, but we'll see. I'll try the baby shampoo next time.

20. alchimiste

alchimiste Well-Known Member

Some people use acetone or trichloroethylene. Alcohol is pretty harmless comperad to these.