1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Over 45 and clubbing; what to wear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Farmgate, Mar 1, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think the key to going out clubbing when older and not look like that guy is to go with a girl that is roughly your age. A friend maybe. Going out with a girl has always brought me luck with lady's in the past. In your situation it will look like you are going out to have fun with somebody of your age and not being creepy.

2. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Well-Known Member

Are there no clubs for older crowds? Probably wouldn't be called clubs, but more like association or supper club or.... Oh wait club is the proper, traditional term. Club now means a squalid building gutted to stick in a shitty bar and a big open wide space for the people to dance in.

3. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

Are there no clubs for older crowds? Probably wouldn't be called clubs, but more like association or supper club or.... Oh wait club is the proper, traditional term. Club now means a squalid building gutted to stick in a shitty bar and a big open wide space for the people to dance in.

yup, aarp group meetings.

4. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

Or better yet, buy some fucking $200 sweatpants.

werd

5. Farmgate

Farmgate Well-Known Member

I don't see how a married person w. kids should be disallowed to enter clubs. I know a dude who once told his 20 y/o son "what, you don't listen to fidget, get on with the program!". Not everyone is some boring tv series parent.

Fuuma, you nailed it. There are those who believe 45 year olds should stay at home, watching the telly...an old dog, laying down to die in the leaves. But I love the clubs, the loud crappy music, the douche baggage, spilled drinks, strobe lights...

Favorite is the Blue Parrott Lounge, Rhodes City, Island of Rhodes.

6. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

I am advising him on dress. He is the one who wants to wear a $3000 suit to a fucking night club, so people can spill drinks and possibly vomit on it. He also wants skanks with daddy issues who'll be clawing at it.

Sounds like you are the one who needs advice on getting cougars in $3000 St John knits to claw at you and massage your Oedipus complex. Calm down[​IMG]

You tell him to dress like Steve Guttenberg at a movie premier, for which I basically call you an idiot, and from that you make the inference that I have an Oedipus complex. You're an even bigger tool than I thought, and I'm sure your intro to psych teacher would agree.

7. Surfrider

Surfrider Well-Known Member

Ask yourself "How would George Clooney dress to a 'club?'" Then, do that.

8. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Well-Known Member

9. Farmgate

Farmgate Well-Known Member

look at the guy on the right, (he's mikael schiller, ceo of acne). this is how an older guy should look in a club environment (although i'd replace v neck with dress shirt). fuuma's advice above is good.
    edit: do NOT dress like the one on the left ( jonny, the designer [​IMG] )

great blazer...funny how the previous poster specifically said, "no blazers!!"

Thanks

10. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

+100.

11. Jokerman

Jokerman Well-Known Member

Sound like you should be dressing like Rick Astley circa "Never Gonna Give You Up."

12. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

great blazer...funny how the previous poster specifically said, "no blazers!!" Thanks
    i think he meant no 'traditional' blazers, like navy with structured shoulders/ brass buttons- anything that would be identifiably a blazer to the MC old fogey types. something in a textured fabric, , maybe thick slubby cotton, and quite unstructured, with minimal shoulder padding and ideally one button is what you want. the one in the picture is Acne.

13. cmrocks

cmrocks Well-Known Member

Best advice yet.

14. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Well-Known Member

It's perfectly plausible for a 50 year old to have the most swag in the club. Most are just too intimidated or busy playing the 'acceptable roles' (sugar daddy, etc.) because they don't want to be hassled by the conformity police. No surprises, best to play it safe.

This is a true statement

15. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I think it's worth specifying what kind of club...There are trashy meat markets full of tanning booth burn victims doing low-alcohol shots that are all thumping bass and strobe lights There are places that include tables, bottle service, music at a volume that still allows for conversation, tasteful lighting, &c. Not sure which kind the OP's going for.

Don't think I'd go for either, personally. I'll take a bar over a club any day. Hell, I'll take a crossword puzzle over a club nine times out of ten.

16. epa

epa Well-Known Member

I am 48 going on 49 and reading this thread actually made me feel like going clubbing...