1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Outrageous (according to sf standards) purchases you have witnessed others make

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sho'nuff, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rioni

rioni Well-Known Member

Anytime I walk by the Ed Hardy store at the mall.

2. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Watching my friend write out a cheque for $48K for a 2 carat VSI diamond...when he had bought a 1 carat a year ago for $10K, then traded it in. [​IMG]

Dude, she's not going to love you 5 times more.

Ouch....The guy is uber ugly or the girl is mega rich and does not believe in pre-nuptials agreement.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

I didn't stay long enough to see how many suits they were buying but I was amazed by the lack of basic tailoring understanding displayed by Harrod's staff.

The jacket the guy was trying was minimum a size too big and the SA was banging on about how great the fit was on him.[​IMG]

This might explain something that I saw in Harrod's about twelve years ago. It was on the first floor men's furnishings section.

Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach were standing among the boxers. The salesman would remove the boxers from the packaging, and Ringo would have Barbara hold up the boxers while the Beatle measured the waistband with measuring tape.

Ringo was quite exacting, and would measure several times...similar to what SF Senior Member "a tailor" does.

Mr. Starkey obviously did not trust Harrod's sizing...your story now confirms the issue.

- B

4. el grande tempo

el grande tempo Well-Known Member

This might explain something that I saw in Harrod's about twelve years ago. It was on the first floor men's furnishings section.

Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach were standing among the boxers. The salesman would remove the boxers from the packaging, and Ringo would have Barbara hold up the boxers while the Beatle measured the waistband with measuring tape.

Ringo was quite exacting, and would measure several times...similar to what SF Senior Member "a tailor" does.

Mr. Starkey obviously did not trust Harrod's sizing...your story now confirms the issue.

- B

Admit it, you wouldn't mind having your boxers held up by Agent Triple X.

- E

5. voxsartoria

Admit it, you wouldn't mind having your boxers held up by Agent Triple X.

Oh mama.

- B

6. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Well-Known Member

How did Ringo account for the stretchiness in measuring the boxers? Or were they not stretchy? Or is this story fictitious?

7. voxsartoria

How did Ringo account for the stretchiness in measuring the boxers? Or were they not stretchy? Or is this story fictitious?

He would measure them both stretched and not. Very thorough.

We went to the food hall to pick up some things, and when we came though afterwards, they were still there.

- B

8. soupcxan

soupcxan Well-Known Member

I witnessed myself paying $600 for a hugo boss suit at Dillard's before I knew better. I know this thread is for purchases made by others, but I'm counting this as an out of body experience. OH THE PAIN OF IT ALL!

9. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Well-Known Member

He would measure them both stretched and not. Very thorough.

We went to the food hall to pick up some things, and when we came though afterwards, they were still there.

- B

Ah. Ringo was very sensible. You could hear it in his musicianship.

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Oh mama.

- B

she was quite the dish back in the day... I wouldn't mind showing her my drumstick.

[​IMG]

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Watching my friend write out a cheque for $48K for a 2 carat VSI diamond...when he had bought a 1 carat a year ago for $10K, then traded it in. [​IMG] Dude, she's not going to love you 5 times more.
    Ouch....The guy is uber ugly or the girl is mega rich and does not believe in pre-nuptials agreement.
    maybe he was caught cheating [​IMG]

12. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

maybe he was caught cheating [​IMG]

Possible . Guilt is such a powerful redemption tool loved by every jewellery around the world.

13. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Well-Known Member

Possible . Guilt is such a powerful redemption tool loved by every jewellery around the world.

Indeed...ref Kobe Bryant.

14. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Might I mention that I distain the fairer sex's slavish obessions with obtaining diamonds?

15. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

bttt, i recently purchased a pair of Dior Homme derbys that were universally panned on the shoe pron thread. i did get them for 50% off, but i suppose one can say that was 50% too much [​IMG]

16. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

not clothing but fits into the lifestyle part of this forum:

I saw a limited edition Blue Lable cask strenght bottle go for about £2500 retail in the shop.

this is just cask strength, no actual blend difference.

They are really paying for the Baccarat decanter. Still ridic though

17. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

- B

VOX
    didn't realize you were such a talented artist.

18. jptoor

jptoor Well-Known Member

I watched a friend coming out of a bad breakup blow $2000 on strippers, alcohol and random items in one night. He's a student and the money came from a scholarship refund he received.

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

[​IMG] - B
    i thought the internets groupthink was that these must be poasted in a 2x2 windowpane? [​IMG]

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Is going all on with 2-pair a stupid purchase you've witnessed others make?