1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Roguls, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Once you go stretch you can never go back.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I underestimated the term "no stretch" lol.
    I was expecting some kind of stretch like a basic cotton or something but they have literally zero give. They are fine standing up but as soon as I tried to move they sucked. When I was sitting in the car driving to the store they were driving me fucking insane, I literally pulled a u-turn and came home to get the fucking things off me. Plus the material creates a ridiculous amount of static and it felt like it was tearing the hairs off my leg.
    Already submitted a return request and printed the shipping label though, I just don't know whether to go for a sized up dungaree or the 60/30's. I wish the future works had a bigger taper or I''d go for those for sure.

3. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

5. OccultaVexillum

I'm curious to see how the other people that bought a pair feel about them and how much of the issue is just me.

6. delluminatus

My Strongworks were waiting when I got home. I'm happy to say that for me anyway, they are exactly what I expected. No stretch, but the cut is loose enough that I feel perfectly comfortable. I wouldn't do squats wearing them but they are fine for everyday wear. Better than my denim for sure. And heavy enough that I can wear them in 0 degree snowy weather (like today... ugh).

Definitely won't be returning them, for me they seem like the perfect winter pant.

I think one difference between mine and Occulta's experiences could be the sizing. I typically like to wear a more relaxed waist so I buy size 32 -- same as for jeans -- even though I could definitely get away with size 31 in most Outlier pants. I do this for even the Futureworks and Climbers because I don't like the look of pants skin tight on your thighs. I think the looseness gives me enough room that I just don't need any stretch.

Shitty fit pic below. (The shirt is one of Outlier's merino T's that I got in the same package, hence the creasing. BTW, these shirts are ridiculous. I have never seen merino wool like this before. It is so tightly woven and fine that it seems more like cotton than wool.)

[​IMG]

7. OccultaVexillum

I always size up at least one on the waist. I'm a true 33, sometimes even 32, but always buy 34's or 35's for the looser top block and thigh.
    I wish they worked for me, the weight and feel was great and even the silhouetted when I was standing. But any kind of motion was just uncomfortable.

8. delluminatus

you must have a huge package [​IMG]

I'm just glad they work for me, I saw your comments at work and was worried because I hate overly constricting pants with a passion (which is why I pretty much wear 100% outlier these days)

9. OccultaVexillum

10. Mutombo

Mutombo Well-Known Member

My Strongworks arrived last night and I like them a lot. As others have said, the fabric doesn't have any stretch, but there is enough room in the thighs to be comfortable, with a decent taper from the knees down. The fabric is much more substantial than the Futureworks (which I previously bought and returned). Overall, well worth the sale price.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. spencers

spencers Well-Known Member

Got my strongworks as well. Ordered my normal size and yes, they are a little snug. I'll deal with it. :) The fabric is a little noisy, but definitely comfortable.

I also noticed they restocked the climbers so I ordered a charcoal pair (after putting off for a year now). I really love the m-back climbers that I already have.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  12. Mehmet Korkmaz

Mehmet Korkmaz Well-Known Member

Just got in my Strongworks as well. Overall impression is quite good, considering they're half the price of SDs. Since they have no stretch, I sized up two to fit my disproportionate thighs (wear 28 in the Keirins), and they pretty well. I'll need the waist taken in an inch, but I expected that.

Fabric isn't as nylon-ey as I had feared--feels similar to the SDs to the touch. They are pretty rigid and tightly woven, but overall not too different from cotton on your legs. Probably not that breathable, if it matters to people.

Their QC seems to be getting a bit better too. Everything I've bought from Outlier has had unravelling seams, etc. These ones still have somewhat messy stitching, but it's a lot better.

13. spencers

spencers Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm going to keep my sz 29 strongworks in blue.

14. hens

hens Active Member

How is the sizing of the pivot shirts and tees? I have a 40.5" chest and am about 5"10. Not sure if I am a medium or a large.

15. wizzeak

wizzeak Well-Known Member

Just bought two mojaves and two new ways to try on. Only plan on keeping one of each.

got white, summer blue, copper dawn and black

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. delluminatus

Hurray, we finally have some longer shorts!

What sucks is that I got an email about it, and by 6 minutes later when I checked the site, the Dust Olive color was already sold out in most sizes. I wonder what's up with that.

17. OccultaVexillum

I wonder if these are the same cut as the old 3 Way Longs?

18. OccultaVexillum

Does anybody here own the Airspace Pullover?
    Curious to see pics in the wild + feedback. I have store credit and have strongly considered picking it up but I may end up waiting for fall/winter and hope they do some reasonably priced bombers.

19. US Grant

US Grant Well-Known Member

Sold out (at least for now) but a good thread on Reddit for the Airspace.

There is the similar Open Space shirts, short and long sleeve, a good review via Well-Spent.

20. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I'm resurrecting this thread only because I picked up a lot of their stuff for a trip through India and the Middle East. Ended up returning a lot of it, and it's maddening as hell because their sizing is so inconsistent that you never know what you order is going to fit, and they sell out so fast there's very little hope of an exchange for a different size.

But I have a couple pairs of pants and a shirt that are going to be torture tested on a trek through some shitty conditions in a true one-bag excursion. I also bought some some more stuff from other companies because I thought it'd be fun to compare.