1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Roguls, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SuEd

SuEd Well-Known Member

Also for cleaning screens of phones, ereaders, tablets.

2. Fixer22

Fixer22 Member

Yeah, this merinoultrasuede missed the mark for me. When I saw their tweet I quickly loaded their site up and couldn't believe the price tag on the shorts and not sure what the hem was all about. The square on the tee was also odd and off-putting. Anyway....will be looking forward to what they come up with next, but props to them for experimenting.

As I have mentioned, I really like the Proof Nomad pants and shorts. They have a slimmer fit that the Outlier OGs. Can't comment on the Surface. With Proof, they seem to go damn near a year between re-stocks. The Surface pants were essentially gone the day they went up for sale a couple months ago and they tweeted they would be re-stocking before the holidays which never came. Moral: Buy fast when you see them, they may not be seen for a long time.

For some odd reason, the Nomads showed up on Huckberry last fall at a decent discount. I grabbed a couple sizes and procrastinated returning them until they weren't eligible. If anyone is looking for some new Nomads in 36, shoot me a PM.

3. stafa

stafa Well-Known Member

I purchased the Proof shorts and like them quite a bit, but I have noticed a lot of threads coming loose from the belt loops. Anyone experience anything like this?

4. Exdeath

Exdeath Well-Known Member

If they're anything like Outlier slim dungarees, I think it's normal (that being said, most Outlier stuff in general is loose-thread city - I have to spend a few minutes with a pair of scissors on every single item I buy from them). Synthetic stuff doesn't really have much of a 'finished' edge so there'll be quite a fair bit of threads coming loose. The original stitch should hold fast though, and generally the weave is thick enough for it to not be an issue.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

God lord. The internet generation. Kill me.

1 person likes this.
  6. SuEd

SuEd Well-Known Member

Techwear...

7. Coldsnap

I guess that can be a part of that style. I think Outlier is moving in a direction that's not for me. Although I will continue to buy their slim dungarees and dress pants, but if they put an Iphone pocket in either I'm out!

8. einstine

einstine Well-Known Member

^I agree.
    There using there hype to sell out products fast but I don't know how much longer it will last, I would guess not much. There pants are nice for what they are "technical pants" but I personally and im sure many others that buy them don't need technical pants. Once I bought and worn a pair of Pier Wu, and Momotaro chinos theres no going back to Outlier or any scholler fabric pants. If you need water resistant pants go for Outlier, if not buy a nice quality pair from a good label and you'll be more then pleased.

1 person likes this.
  9. SuEd

SuEd Well-Known Member

Would you share what's in your wardrobe? (In a similar style to deadsunrise's and rxryan's posts did)

10. einstine

Yea, can you link me to there post. Btw, how did those shorts work out, loved everything about them color and design was awesome wish they would of fit me better ...also wish Outlier would make more items like them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  11. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

If I wasnt subjected to the many many "spilling accidents" going on around me I'd definitely go for some next level pents, but for now my personal stock is around 25% ogs, 25% nomads, 30% apc raws and 20% eg
    (obviously theres several more but only listing percentages of what I actually wear currently)

12. Coldsnap

dat stretch is important to me. more so than the water protectant.

13. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

^ absolutely, cant underestimate that sweet stretchiness
    I've said it before but to me it feels like im wearing slim breathable sweatpants that just look like normal slim pants

14. rxryan

rxryan Well-Known Member

I love it when this thread explodes overnight ha. So much goodness.

I think this is the first time I have looked at their pricing and had a truly negative opinion in regards to it (though I still bought the shorts, pullover, and bandana... the last of which will serve as a great smaller scarf and even better when I am on the mountain). But man... it's a very valid point about the t-shirts in particular. Small patches of this ultrasuede shouldn't constitute that big of a price increase IMO. Maybe just increase the priceof the t-shirt by how much the fabric costs and the small uptick in labor required to sew it on. Basically, offer the variation from the base merino T at cost just as a new offering/variation to consumers.

Re: Proof... they crack my shit up. Very obvious they rip off Outlier's pieces as I think Proof has maybe one original product (oxford shirt). Everything else from the Nomads to the Surface, shorts, peacoat... straight rip offs. BUT, the quality is on par with Outlier, the fit is often better, and it's almost always cheaper so I have purchased stuff from them. I like my Nomads (have the pine colorway like canstyleace and it's pretty rad) and my olive surface pants are good too. As somebody else mentioned, their Nomads have been on Huckberry a couple times (actually were this week, but basically no sizes available) for real cheap <$100.

Anybody else chuckle at Proof's write-up on their Surface pants? They claim they scoured the globe for several months to find the right fabric for their Surface pants. Oh, you mean the same stuff Outlier has been using for a few years in the pants that you are blatantly copying?! LOL. They're almost endearing due to their ridiculous nature. Whatever though... make quality items at a decent price point and I don't care.

And back to Outlier, I'll continue buying their stuff unless they really just lose it. They're still new to the industry and I really do appreciate the fact that they try weird and new stuff. Grid linen? Ripstop merino? A GD sun poncho?! All in, Abe.

1 person likes this.
  15. SuEd

SuEd Well-Known Member

Both posts are in this thread: deadsunrise's wardrobe post is #942 and rxryan's is #943. deadsunrise has mentioned that he is located in the sunny side of Europe which explains why he doesn't have as much outerwear as the rest of us.

16. einstine

Oh... I thought you meant a write up on all my cloths not only Outlier. I don't own a lot of Outlier garments anymore I sold almost everything I bought from them. I just don't like them anymore and they have not came out with a garment that wasent worth compensating a little more money to get a better garment.

The Outlier garments I still own are 1 pair of three ways, a merino tee, x feit inosles, and 10 pairs of there socks the only thing that are worth it that they sell imo.

17. Exdeath

Exdeath Well-Known Member

Quote:Did you see the Flint & Tinder 'Tough Slacks' they released a while ago? They copy Outlier's NYCO slims, right down to the fabric, colors, and even the (fairly unique) crotch gusset patch. Outlier makes a big deal about 'scouring the globe for fabrics' too. Yeah, superfine merino wool is really hard to find. Why didn't you guys just pick up the phone and call the guys at Ibex? (also, is it just me or does their latest model look like a homeless man that operates an art gallery)

1 person likes this.
  18. brooks23

brooks23 Well-Known Member

Obviously the idea is ripped off, but for what it's worth, the fabric specs are different between the Surfaces and 60/30s.

19. SuEd

SuEd Well-Known Member

20. joshualim90

joshualim90 Active Member

Are the 60/30's fabric more durable than the dryskin ones? I do a lot of jungle trekking and the slim dungarees are close to perfect save for the lack of stretch.

I tried trekking wearing a pair of Climbers and the snags are just crazy.