• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Proof NY copied Outliers style. At least with the New OGs compared to there Nomads, and with the photo destinations "by the ocean, exploring the city". They defiantly could of came up with there own personal style, but seems they wanted to try and grow faster, and then take Outliers customers by making the same type of garments. I just wish Outlier would step in and say hey if a smaller company in the same location can sell pants with the same exact fabric for $130 and obviously make a profit and a great product. Why is the price so high for Outlier garments? Once again to point it out money is not a problem when it comes to cloths for me ill spend whatever amount if I enjoy the product. I am not rich, Im a full time student and work ****** off at a unenjoyable job.

Last edited:

Totakeke

Reaction score
Price is as much part of the product as its design. I'd be more sympathetic towards Outlier if they didn't keep revising their prices upwards.

aeymxq

Reaction score
i can't believe the hypercity sold out, i was just about to cop one! i need a large capacity backpack by end of month too. this one looked so good, omfg. ;_;

SuEd

Reaction score
I agree that Proof NY copied Outliers style. At least with the New OGs compared to there Nomads, and with the photo destinations "by the ocean, exploring the city". They defiantly could of came up with there own personal style, but seems they wanted to try and grow faster, and then take Outliers customers by making the same type of garments. I just wish Outlier would step in and say hey if a smaller company in the same location can sell pants with the same exact fabric for $130 and obviously make a profit and a great product. Why is the price so high for Outlier garments? Once again to point it out money is not a problem when it comes to cloths for me ill spend whatever amount if I enjoy the product. I am not rich, Im a full time student and work ****** off at a unenjoyable job.

Price is as much part of the product as its design. I'd be more sympathetic towards Outlier if they didn't keep revising their prices upwards.

C'mon people, don't overstate your criticisms. You don't know for sure if ProofNY is making a profit unless you have access to their books. They might be cutting their margins close because they are a smaller company with fewer employees (Outlier has at least 5 people on the payroll). Outlier also sunk costs into developing these types of garments. So you got Nomads on sale for $130 but then again Outlier had a sample sale earlier this year with pants for as low as $60. Outlier has been pretty transparent about their reason for the increase in prices and I choose to trust them on that. Frankly if the higher prices means more experiments like the Poncho, and more staples like socks and tees, then I'm fine with supporting the company.

I'm not saying nobody should buy ProofNY — there's room for both to exist (and perhaps PoofNY should have its own thread).

SuEd

Reaction score
yeah i'm looking at this, but i really liked the hypercity's colour, and the removable hip-belt was really great because those things look kinda goofy (but are still very useful).

The white dyneema is kinda transparent so I too prefer the hypercity's black color.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have I mentioned that I LOVE my OG's?

I really love 'em and I plan to keep supporting outlier, but what I really love about them is the schoeller 4 season fabric, and I've had to tailor all my og's in the top block to fit proper (I wear 28 so cant size down either, although I recall them making 27 a few years back, wish they still did but they dont, and 28 is really huge for a true 28 waist).

So if proof is exactly the same fabric and turns out to fit me better in the top block, or comes out with more distinctive color options, plus I'm also saving a bill per pair, then of course I will support them as well, posers or not.

Last edited:

InHocSignio

Reaction score
Though I hate it as a consumer, the fact that Outlier products often sell out immediately upon release/restock may indicate they have even more room to raise prices, indeed perhaps necessarily raise them. They may not have the capacity to raise production to meet demand -- as I understand it the Schoeller fabric is made in limited runs -- without incurring significantly more risk, and price-raising is simply one of the best alternatives to crush demand you can't meet.

SuEd

Reaction score
Outlier could manage demand in other ways. They could switch to a seasonal model, announce a collection weeks or months in advance, get customer feedback, and produce as needed. Or they could try a kickstarter model, display a sample item for a limited window and then produce the number that the customers order.

Outlier has 5,000+ on their mailing list and 8,000+ Twitter followers so raising the price isn't doing much to stop the items produced in limited numbers (only 25 for 60/30 jacket!) selling out in hours/days.

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They make limited amounts on purpose. To give that the demand is higher then it actually is, im sure they could produce more if the really wanted too. But producing a low amount of garments makes them rare, and I know for a fact people love rare items. I love owning clothing that people cant get there hands on anymore. Its also not just with outlier but practicly all good high end clothing lines garments from past seasons are hard to find.

Last edited:

InHocSignio

Reaction score
Outlier could manage demand in other ways. They could switch to a seasonal model, announce a collection weeks or months in advance, get customer feedback, and produce as needed. Or they could try a kickstarter model, display a sample item for a limited window and then produce the number that the customers order.

Outlier has 5,000+ on their mailing list and 8,000+ Twitter followers so raising the price isn't doing much to stop the items produced in limited numbers (only 25 for 60/30 jacket!) selling out in hours/days.

I do think the Kickstarter model, a la Gustin, will become an increasingly viable path for brands to take, and is better than outright price raising every season. Outlier has alot of Reddit (and in general online) hype, and in fact I know quite a few people, more than I should know, outside the NY fashion bubble ready to plunk money down for a pair of OG dungarees at a fairish price point. How interested the brand is in preserving their relationships with their stockists would probably the stickling point, I don't know really know how wide or deep their distribution is, and it would be going pretty out on the business model forefront right now.

They make limited amounts on purpose. To give that the demand is higher then it actually is, im sure they could produce more if the really wanted too. But producing a low amount of garments makes them rare, and I know for a fact people love rare items. I love owning clothing that people cant get there hands on anymore. Its also not just with outlier but practicly all good high end clothing lines garments from past seasons are hard to find.

Eh. I don't really think oversaturation is a problem Outlier is worried with. And anonymous tech-ish wear, stuff people aren't going to ask you for the label straight up, doesn't strike me as the kind of Veblen good that demand is created the higher the price. (Unlike, say, a big-ass Hermes belt or whatever.) When guidos and hypebeasts start wearing Outlier, I'd agree that's a problem, but I think they really would like get more of their stuff into a compatible demographic that desires it.

SuEd

Reaction score
I do think the Kickstarter model, a la Gustin, will become an increasingly viable path for brands to take, and is better than outright price raising every season. Outlier has alot of Reddit (and in general online) hype, and in fact I know quite a few people, more than I should know, outside the NY fashion bubble ready to plunk money down for a pair of OG dungarees at a fairish price point. How interested the brand is in preserving their relationships with their stockists would probably the stickling point, I don't know really know how wide or deep their distribution is, and it would be going pretty out on the business model forefront right now.

Outlier discontinued the relationships with their stockists last year and are now direct distribution only. FEIT, who Outlier partnered with to create the Supermarines shoes, uses a Kickstarter-like model (I'm not sure how well it works for them though). I guess Outlier's current model is a great way for them to manage demand as only the rich can drop thousands, or even hundreds, at a moment's notice on a new Outlier release. The rest of us... :|

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads