1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

OTR Collar like Phat Guido's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tumadre, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Try the tall semi-cutaway. That's what I'm wearing in my Avatar pic.

2. Achillus

Achillus Well-Known Member

Lol.

3. tumadre

tumadre Active Member

It looks like the term "collar gap" threw everyone into a tizzy, with varying opinions on the definition. The one I've most often seen is when there is a noticeable space between the collar points and the lapels. Everyone else can call a collar gap what they want. Having said that, my original point was that there are a number of factors to consider in how a shirt collar is worn with a jacket and tie, some of which we may not consciously think about when we put on a dress shirt and tie. Clearly PG has put much time and effort into finding his own combination of collar point length, height, and spread. It's easy enough to close the "collar gap" with many an OTR shirt - pick your favorite label. Some folks rightly suggested brands that come closer to the look I'm striving for, such as Finamore, etc. In the end, I've decided I'll have to go bespoke.

Here's a post that does a much better job of describing some of the subtleties of the look that I was referring to.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I got a bunch of Beams slim fit shirts that are honestly really good for the $70 or so I paid for each of them on sale. I think they might be about double that normally. Obviously they have no handwork and I didn't really pore over them yet, but they're cut much like a decent Italian camicia and give off that vibe, nice wide collar, slightly higher collarband, higher arm scyes and more tubular sleeves, darted backs. The top side of the collar is fused and the bottom is floating, I think, decent roll, fabrics are kinda eh but to be expected. They have MOP buttons, not sure if they're single needle or not. I got mine in a 15.5/39 as I normally would, I find them about a half inch short in the sleeve for my liking but it's not the end of the world, they're good utilitarian shirts, certainly the best I've seen for the price.