• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other Bourdain Books

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Bourdain books published after Kitchen Confidential? Should I bother with them? I have never really been tempted but now I wonder.

Also, if anyone knows of good books about being/becoming a chef, plz mention. I have read all of Ruhlman, Heat, Achatz, etc., i.e., all the obvious ones but probably have missed some.

thx

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I cannot stand Bourdain at all most of the time, but for some reason I find his writing tolerable. Anyway, his books released after KC are fine, but they aren't as good as KC.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read several that were given to me as gifts and they're just ok. It's like a band that spends years and years rewiring their first album until every track is good enough to be a hit when it's released. When they are pressured to put out an album each year after that on a schedule, there is an inevitable drop off in quality.
I'm not saying kitchen confidential is the best book ever, but I think he put everything he had into it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I've read several that were given to me as gifts and they're just ok. It's like a band that spends years and years rewiring their first album until every track is good enough to be a hit when it's released. When they are pressured to put out an album each year after that on a schedule, there is an inevitable drop off in quality.
I'm not saying kitchen confidential is the best book ever, but I think he put everything he had into it.

I have not read the others, obviously, but that is the strong impression that I get from KC. Very fun to read, though looking onlne it seems that people who know or claim to know say that a lot of what he says is BS.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don't know about his level of BS, but in my experience the opinion of people on the internet is pretty full of BS.

I have a number of his others and enjoyed them for what they are. I'll bring them in for you, I think there are some chapters that you'd enjoy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I don't know about his level of BS, but in my experience the opinion of people on the internet is pretty full of BS.

I have a number of his others and enjoyed them for what they are. I'll bring them in for you, I think there are some chapters that you'd enjoy.

What I mean is, there are people who say "I worked at X place in Y year and I was there when what AB describes as Z happened and he made it up/embellished/exaggerated."

Now, I can't say either way. But some of the things he describes do sound preposterous. So I would not be surprised if he took serious licence.

Yes, please lend, this week, if possible, so I can take them with me to the motherland.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if parts were embellished. Though I don't recall any kitchen scenes in his non-KC books. They just make me want to eat at Le Bernardin or Masa.

I'll bring them in this week - care to reciprocate with some of your latest readings?

Renton

Reaction score
I've read or listened to most of the Bourdain books and they've all been pretty enjoyable. I wasn't too enthralled with The Nasty Bits but it was good, light reading. A Cook's Tour was probably my favorite, sort of a precursor to No Reservations.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

I think you just warped the space-time continuum.
wink.gif

Like Kwilk- I generally don't like Bourdain- to flip Manton's question- are his EARLY books worth reading?

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Has anyone read the Bourdain books published after Kitchen Confidential? Should I bother with them? I have never really been tempted but now I wonder.

Also, if anyone knows of good books about being/becoming a chef, plz mention. I have read all of Ruhlman, Heat, Achatz, etc., i.e., all the obvious ones but probably have missed some.

thx

Manton - focus on chef books. Pierre Franey's A Chef's Tale, Pierre Koffman's La Tante Claire are all insightful. Bernard L'Oiseau's The Perfectionist (he didn't write it, being dead and all that) is a must to understand the 3 Star phenonema in France during the second half of the 20th. There is a good book by George Blanc though I can't remember the name.

I recently gave a chef friend a copy of Lisa Abend's Sorcerer's Apprentice about a year at El Bulli with Adria. I haven't read it but hope to at some point.

Simone Beck's Food and Friends is a great memoir. Paul Grimes who was at Gourmet and still knocks about NY edited and wrote some of the book.

As to Bourdain, I don't know the chronology of the works, but the Les Halles cookbook is sound. Frank Stitt wrote a great book about his restaurant and the south called Southern Table or something like that.

The one book I want to read is a Jonathan Waxman biography. I've never met the guy but his food has a ton of personality and the era he's lived through had some wild times. I'm sure there's a tale in there. Go play Rhulman to his Keller and get me a book, OK?

B

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have A Cook's tour on audiobook. I love it because it was read by Bourdain...made a big difference. More entertaining than Kitchen Confidential (also on Audiobook) for sure.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
(...)A Cook's Tour was probably my favorite, sort of a precursor to No Reservations.

I was very fond of A Cook's Tour, but have only read that and Kitchen Confidential.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
I recently gave a chef friend a copy of Lisa Abend's Sorcerer's Apprentice about a year at El Bulli with Adria. I haven't read it but hope to at some point.

I just finished this, and it kind of takes the magic away. Not that I was going to have a chance to eat there, but I'm actually kind of turned off now.

Bourdain's latest book is kind of episodic, and enjoyable in a gossipy way when he starts slamming people. It doesn't have the same energy or magic as KC.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads