1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Oscars: 2013 Black Tie Trumphs and Tragedies

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

Is that Kiera Knightley..?

Wooster looks like more of a clown than usual. Wow.

2. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

I can't believe NW gets a ticket to the Oscars. But seeing him there dressed like that...:crackup:

3. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

I never realized this before but is Nick Wooster 4'11"?

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

He's short but not that short. Like 5'5"

5. SharplyTailored

SharplyTailored Well-Known Member

Then he should not be having any trouble at all getting trousers of the correct length. What's the inside leg on those trousers in the picture? 16"?

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Idk but I agree it looks terrible. He looks way worse than Tarantino IMHO.

7. pfurey

pfurey Well-Known Member

Wooster loves his ankles just a little too much.

8. jfoonly

jfoonly Well-Known Member

+1

[​IMG]

CroppedTFY

9. jfoonly

jfoonly Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

This is a very good point. I think it's important to remember that just by being on this forum, SFers care more about clothing than 95% of the male population. And while many celebrities would typically be more invested in their overall appearance, this isn't universal. Some (many) people just don't care, celebrity or otherwise.

I thought his tux looked good as well, and the velvet shoes were an interesting touch. I'm surprised that no one has flipped out about the inch of shirt visible under his button in that photo. Does that mean that he didn't go with a vest or cumberbund but still looked good?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  11. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

If you don't give a fuck, why show up in the first place? It's childish rebellion pure and simple. A serious cry for help.

12. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

First thing that crossed my mind. Even so, looking mighty fine. Possibly the best of the bunch.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

100% when you consider Nick "should" or "does" know better. QT may be a affected or gauche. Nick is just being a dick.

14. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

This was my reaction as well.

15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Accepting all the debate on the issue, this is pretty much my view too. If you really can't be arsed then just don't bother at all, a la Woody Allen.

If they ever give me a Nobel Prize or a knighthood I will suit up in tails. I'll feel a bit ridiculous as it's a step too far for me, but I'll do it cos I'll be chuffed to get the gong. If the award meant nothing to me I would just sack the whole thing off.

16. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Because it helps them to maintain the illusion of Hollywood glamour and class. Asinine celebrity worship does not breed itself.
    Really, very few of them know better and anyone that does sounds like a total crank pointing out "the rules."

17. Brogued

Brogued Well-Known Member

Nice to see Tarantino slowly turning into Oliver Stone.

18. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

I've seen several posters allude to the fact that there's no excuse for showing up poorly dressed when you have professionals styling you, and while that should be correct, I think we are forgetting about the fact that this will only work if the stylist understands proper black tie. If celebrities have their publicist get someone to dress them then you'll probably have a combination of a 28yr old girl who thinks super slim lapels and a black skinny tie are ideal for formalwear and a brand rep who wants to push whatever look the company is going for. If that's two-button notches this year, then that's what'll show up.

When male celebrities show up looking great in TF formalwear, they look great because the designers at TF know what proper formalwear looks like, not because the celebrities do. All they know is that TF agreed to dress them, but as luck would have it, what arrives is usually pretty good. When you swap "TF" in the preceding statement for "Gucci", "YSL", "Armani", etc. then the results will not necessarily be the same.

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

+1

20. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

These threads often turn into lists of comments on the badly dressed and why they are so. Can't we just have more pics of the guys who did it right, or at least mostly right?