• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering Leica MP

aizan

Reaction score
lol, i hadn't thought of 'm. fan' being read as 'leica m fan'.

since your SO nixed the initials, here's what your full name would look like if it was on the back with no other engravings. you can move it around in photoshop, see where it looks best.

i like the classic engraving because it balances out the top plate's visual elements and looks stately, even royal. that, and it's a true icon. (you can also see that text being engraved in a smaller size is historically accurate.)

the hot shoe is normally silver chrome on the mp, but they can install a black chrome hot shoe like on the m9-p, etc. afaik, they don't make black paint hot shoes, which makes no sense since that's what they used to do.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The black hotshoe is something that deserves serious consideration. It looks very, very cool on the M9-P. My concern is that black chrome looks terrible when it wears and won't match the brassing of the painted portions of the body.

I think I'll stick with "M. FAN." For whatever reason, I don't like engraving full names. Seems out-of-sync with the camera being a serious tool.

aizan

Reaction score
keep in mind that black paint and black chrome wear at different rates, too. the mp's black paint is soft so it gets that "beat to hell" look asap, while black chrome takes longer to show silvering.

i love the way brassy black paint leicas look, but i got a silver chrome mp based on my skin tone, as if it really were male jewelry. that's a running joke among leicaphiles, but it's a useful way to choose between the three finishes.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dropped by the camera shop today. I compared an M9 to an MP out of curiosity. The former is substantially larger in the hand--it feels easily a half inch thicker. Yet another reason to stick with film!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ordered!

The idea of buying up an MP Classic was nagging me through last night, when the one I had my eye on got taken by someone else. Oh well. Would have been a bigger pain going that route. The new MP should be done within a few months--hopefully, before my birthday in December.

aizan

Reaction score
:slayer:

gary3594

Reaction score
I use several types of Leica M's (M2, M3, M4, M7, MPs) and to me, the look is iconic. If this wasn't your first M and you were getting an ala carte from Leica, I would seriously consider absolutely NO engraving except the MP-serial number as the shape/look obviously says LEICA.

The same thought went into my vision of my black Porsche GT3. I deleted the rear raised script and the Porsche crest on the wheel centers. From a mile away (depending on your eyesight or hearing), you still know it's a Porsche.

aizan

Reaction score
it's only a matter of time before your thoughts turn to the nikon sp 2005 limited edition. it's a treacherous road.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We'll see. I've been pining for this camera for near-on a decade!

Beginning to have second thoughts about the name engraving . . .

Anyone want a brand-new 50mm Summilux ASPH w/ full three-year warranty? Got an extra to sell.

Philip

Reaction score
How can anyone justify spending so much on a Leica? When it cones to film I have always found what made the most difference in quality is work in the darkroom. If you're buying Leica digital rangefinders at ten grand plus there is the epson which takes Leica mounts at only two grand...

milosh

Reaction score
Doesn't the Epson have a crop sensor? Big difference IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads