1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Options After Poor Reweaving Effort?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by astro1001, Sep 12, 2016.

1. astro1001

astro1001 Member

I recently had some reweaving (technically over weaving I believe) done on a wool navy sports coat which had sustained a small (pencil eraser sized) tear to the upper part of the left arm sleeve. I've never had this type of work done, and in fairness I may have had unreasonably high expectations giving some results pictures I had seen here and on other forums, but I feel somewhat less than satisfied with the results (poor quality picture included). My questions are: 1) is it a bad job? and 2) can anything be done now (send to quality reweavers mentioned here before) or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance for any direction and/or adjustment of expectations.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I would contact French American Reweaving in NYC. I don't know what was the original damage like, but that job doesn't look very good as is.

I've had good experiences with French American. You may want to get their advice. Also wouldn't be surprised if Rave FabriCARE in Arizona provides a similar service. They do a lot of good cleaning and repair work. I haven't had reweaving done there, but they've been excellent for me at cleaning difficult stains.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. astro1001

astro1001 Member

UPDATE on this - sent the jacket off to Without a Trace in Chicago (after combing through a number of posts recommending their work). They pulled the patch off and confirmed the initial damage was not so substantial as to require overweaving. Their french weaver is going to go to work on it and I'll post a final update with a pics when it returns.

4. astro1001

astro1001 Member

Final update on this...

Without a Trace did an incredible job (the picture speaks for itself) and should now consider me a customer for life.

[​IMG]