1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on this tie...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bry2000, Jun 13, 2006.

1. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I agree with you both. The last few times I've paid full retail for a tie, I've been paying well over $150 (Charvet 7-fold (yikes!), H&B, Marinella). However, my frame of mind is still that of shopping at Marshalls', where a tie over $20 seems expensive. I have this fear where the statement "I consider ties under $100 to be cheap" could be a 21st-century "Let them eat cake"... "Let them wear Charles Hill"...

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I agree with you both. The last few times I've paid full retail for a tie, I've been paying well over $150 (Charvet 7-fold (yikes!), H&B, Marinella). However, my frame of mind is still that of shopping at Marshalls', where a tie over $20 seems expensive. I have this fear where the statement "I consider ties under $100 to be cheap" could be a 21st-century "Let them eat cake"... "Let them wear Charles Hill"...
    OK, then let's amend the statement to, "A top quality tie that goes for less than $100 at full retail is a good value."

3. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

OK, then let's amend the statement to, "A top quality tie that goes for less than $100 at full retail is a good value."
    No, that sounds like something some grubby lawyer would make you say. I prefer the first statement.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

All of my favorite brands have passed $150 at full retail in the US. I try not to pay full retail, but some brands don't go on sale, and sometimes I see a tie that want badly enough that I don't want to risk waiting for a sale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Drake's was pretty high on your list. Aren't they still retailing for $110?

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Drake's was pretty high on your list. Aren't they still retailing for $110?
    I like Drake's. I have not bought one in a while. I'm not even sure who carries them under the "Drake" label in NY these days, as they tend to come and go. However, I know that Drake does private lable work for several smaller stores or stores-within-stores, and all of those are in the $150 range.

6. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I like it too and would pair it with a gray POW plaid suit with a deco windowpane and a blue check shirt.

Update to my styleforum members dossier:

Andrew Portnoy- incredible tastes in shoes, very questionable tastes in mixing patterns. [​IMG]

7. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I like Drake's. I have not bought one in a while. I'm not even sure who carries them under the "Drake" label in NY these days, as they tend to come and go. However, I know that Drake does private lable work for several smaller stores or stores-within-stores, and all of those are in the $150 range.

Could you name names of some of their private label work, if it's not a industry secret.

8. Vintage Gent

Interesting. I just took a brief gander at the Ben Silver website, and they have a reasonably generous selection of Drake's, none of which is more expensive, at full retail, than $115.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Could you name names of some of their private label work, if it's not a industry secret.
    Flusser and Mimmo Spano, at least. Not all of what they offer, but some.

10. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

Drakes ties are nicely made and the silks are top notch. Some of the patterns are painfully boring, however. I bought a Drakes tie in Milan recently for EUR85 that I like well enough. In London, some really nice Drakes are found at Emma Willis for GBP85 a pop (very expensive) and at Liberty (can't remember the price).

In NY, one can find Drakes at BG. But they cut them around 2.5 inches wide -- so basically unwearable. Paul Stuart sells some, although the snotty tie saleswomen I spoke to told me in a patronizing way: "sir, all our ties are made by Paul Stuart." To which I responded, I did not realize that PS had a tie making factory. She walked off in a huff. Then returned to tell me that she did not know the vendors that make their ties. (I freakin' hate Paul Stuart). Barney's sells a decent selection of Drakes ties and bowties. Saks had a few this season labelled as Michael Drake. Cenci carries some ties under their own label by Drakes. I would imagine Herzfeld may carry some, although I have not been to that store in years. I think Oxxford may carry some as well, under their own lable I presume. In the US, you can expect to pay between $125 and $135 per tie. Oh yeah, I think Drakes makes some of the ties under the Spano label at Saks. Very nice, but they run $175!!!!

11. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

I quite like this tie, and believe it could be worn with any number of suits, blue, grey or some of the summer shades.

Yes, Barney's has a rather large selection of Drakes.

Bry -- I agree with you about Paul Stuart. I quite like many of their offerings, but the atmosphere of the NY store really puts me off. Being somewhat younger than their traditional demographic, I always feel that I am being watched as I stroll throught the store, yet at the same time, ignored because the sales staff doesn't think they will make a sale.

Some have said that the Chicago store is very different.

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Barney's has them sometimes, sometimes not. Or maybe they sell out. The last time I was there (March, I think) I could not find any.

13. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

Barney's has them sometimes, sometimes not. Or maybe they sell out. The last time I was there (March, I think) I could not find any.
    When I stopped by Barney's last month, they had a small, but decent selection of Drakes ties and bowties. They also had some Nicky ties, priced at $165. I am still looking for a decent source of Nicky ties. I could not find any in Milan.

14. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

STP has several Drake's ties in the $60 range right now, a few as low as $40.

15. Vintage Gent

STP has several Drake's ties in the $60 range right now, a few as low as $40.

Yeah, I just noticed that myself. Looks as though they got a rather substantial supply in recently.

16. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

All of my favorite brands have passed $150 at full retail in the US. I try not to pay full retail, but some brands don't go on sale, and sometimes I see a tie that want badly enough that I don't want to risk waiting for a sale.
    Just curious Manton, but about how many ties do you have?

17. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Update to my styleforum members dossier:

Andrew Portnoy- incredible tastes in shoes, very questionable tastes in mixing patterns. [​IMG]

You cut me to the quick Ed. Seriously though, it would be a qunitessential Paul Stuart combo when paired with walnut Grenson Stowes