1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Operation Paprika

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, May 19, 2010.

1. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Well-Known Member

Those are the old, crappy jeans I sometimes wear around the house only. Wasn't dressing up to try on a pair of shoes. :)

The shoes are looser than they look.

2. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Those shoes look cheap. Like something I could buy from Sanders.

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Also, seeing as how the shoe laces completely tight, with no V at all, I would imagine they aren't sized right.

5. Asian Afro

That's due to my low instep. I have this problem with a lot of RTW shoes.

The shoes are just the right length, but they are a bit too wide, which is easy to handle in the forefoot but not in the heels.

They may not look like much, but their leather is wonderfully supple. The leather is untreated and I plan to turn it into deep burgundy when the shoes finally fit.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

you learn quick...

7. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

:fonz::fistbump:

8. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

the more i think about it. i hope, he doesn't "ruin" them in taking away their soul. fingers crossed.

9. Asian Afro

We'll see. Jon told me Friday that they already looked better from the refinishing, but he couldn't finish them in time to meet me. I hope to get them back within a month or so.

10. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

• Tongue pads? Jon's a shoemaker right, so why the amateurish fix?

Hope they come out nice - it's been a long wait.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. Asian Afro

• Not sure. He's also suggested insoles with an arch support so maybe he's just not sure how much to adjust, as he's not seen my feet in those shoes. (I should have asked him to bring them to my recent shoe fitting.)

12. Asian Afro

Unfortunately, the shoes still did not fit me after Jon Gray's adjustments. Not sure what to do with them yet, but they are shelved for now.

Here are pictures of the sole and its edge, polished by Jon. Apologies for bad pics as usual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Newbie here thinking about my own Hungarian adventure...any advice on best value, or bargains like these to be had?

14. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

are you planing to go there?

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Not imminently; I was just discovering that Vass etc. seem like great value compared to other stylish makers of "proper" shoes: one thing that stands out is that some charge only a little more for MTO/MTM, relatively speaking, rather than three or four times the RTW price like their English counterparts.

But I was intrigued by this thread - I didn't plough through all of it, but it seems some people have a handle on some interesting clearance or other special-source items. I'm wondering how to get my hands on some, and for how much? You seem to be an active man around here, so advice is very welcome!

16. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

alright. imo, you cannot go wrong with Vass. they have a decent selection of lasts accomodating different shapes of feet. guys know their stuff and imo most important is to deal with them directly.

another company I'm very fond of is Maftei in Vienna. very flexible and with the knowledge of an bespoke operation.

17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip - I've heard of Maftei; Austrian with Romanian roots I think? Lovely shoes, but they are a lot more expensive than Vass, right?

Also, what about these mystery bargain shoes you've been fishing out? Are such things still available, or did that ship sail some time ago? (Just in case, it's a UK 9.5 G fitting, sometimes up a half size with an oxford as my instep's higher than average) So 43.5-44 wide sounds about right...

P.S. I'm new here..."Warning: Spoiler!" on my previous post. Er...what?!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  18. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

no worries. everything ok.

the actual quote from Vass is € 480,- shipped to the US.(+/- the daily conversion changes). Maftei's RTW/MTO is in this ballpark. their bespoke shoes had a slightly increase over the years after people on the foras complaint that they are to cheap. go figure.

i'll pm you. thanks for asking.

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick replies! Just curious as to what the "spoiler" message means - not worried, intrigued! Can someone explain!

The quote I have from Vass would be E420 for a normal pair of shoes RTW, which, less Hungary's crazy 27% sales tax but plus shipping outside the EU, probably comes back up towards 400. I've never been in touch with Maftei, just seen them talked about here and there. Thanks for the tip, it sounds like they're worth talking to.

I will get right back to your PM - thanks again!

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

afaik, the spoiler tags have been introduced to focus on the message in a post.

like I did now.

pm is working. this is an information for readers of this nice thread. approved. by johnny cash and other gods in this universe. ty